1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure of a soap bubble

1. Aug 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two spherical soap bubbles of radii a[1] and a[2] are made to coalesce. Show that when the temperature of the gas in the resulting soap bubble has returned to its initial values, r of the bubble is given by p*r^3+4*[tex]\gamma[/tex]*r^2=p(a[1]^3+a[2]^3)+4[tex]\gamma[/tex](a[1]^2+a[2]^2) where p is the ambient pressure and [tex]\gamma[/tex] is the surface tension.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I cut the bubble in half and found that the surface tension along the circumference is 2[tex]\gamma[/tex] therefore the total force is 2[tex]\gamma[/tex]*circumference (2[tex]\pi[/tex]*r) we then have the pressure inside the bubble acting over the entire cross section which gives total force of p*[tex]\pi[/tex]*r^2. adding the two together, my final equation is p*r^2+4*[tex]\gamma[/tex]*r=p(a[1]^2+a[2]^2)+4[tex]\gamma[/tex](a[1]+a[2]). I have no idea how I did it but my entire equation has been divided by r somehow. Please help. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook