1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure of an ideal gas

1. Dec 7, 2014 #1
    can someone help me .In this video from 2.00 to 3.00 how the velocity vector drawn with red color can be broken into x-y-z components and why after bouncing back only x component of velocity changed and y ,z components remained same?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2014 #2
    It's bouncing off a y-z plane. Just bounce a ball off a vertical wall, and see which components reverse and which components remain the same. Only the component normal to the plane reverses.

Chet

4. Dec 7, 2014 #3
    how the velocity vector drawn with red color can be broken into x-y-z components ?
    how you came to know that?

5. Dec 7, 2014 #4
    You can always resolve a vector into components.

You can see in the figure that the wall that it bounces off is parallel to the y-z plane.

Chet

6. Dec 7, 2014 #5
    i know how to resolve vectors but only in 2 dimensions.

7. Dec 7, 2014 #6
    Well, it can be done in 3 dimensions too.

Chet

8. Dec 7, 2014 #7
    can all vectors be resolved in 3 dimensions?

9. Dec 7, 2014 #8
    Yes. In 3D space, all vectors can be resolved into combinations of 3 linearly independent components.

Chet

10. Dec 7, 2014 #9
    but only vectors which are in 3d ,for example this kind of vector (in the image below) can only be resolved in 2d i.e only with two perpendicular component.right?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKd7xZd5V-4P4sk36mIENHU_m4sYE0QL5Pm8pa6md9cAnq5Z6j.jpg

11. Dec 7, 2014 #10
    All that means is that the component out of the paper is zero.

Chet

12. Dec 7, 2014 #11
    ok if any vector is coming out of page ,what it's x component would be?i can only imagine it in y z plane.

13. Dec 7, 2014 #12
    If the vector is through the origin, then you drop a normal from its tip to each of the three coordinate axes to get its x, y, and z components.

Chet

14. Dec 7, 2014 #13
    From Tip of vector which has to be resolved?

15. Dec 7, 2014 #14
    Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook