Understanding Velocity Vector Components in a Gas Molecule Bouncing Back?

In summary: You would measure the distance from the tip of the vector to the coordinate axes to determine the components. In summary, the conversation is about resolving a velocity vector into x-y-z components and how the components change when the vector bounces off a y-z plane. The experts also discuss how all vectors can be resolved in 3 dimensions and how to determine the components of a vector using the distance from its tip to the coordinate axes.
gracy
can someone help me .In this video from 2.00 to 3.00 how the velocity vector drawn with red color can be broken into x-y-z components and why after bouncing back only x component of velocity changed and y ,z components remained same?

Physics news on Phys.org
gracy said:
can someone help me .In this video from 2.00 to 3.00 how the velocity vector drawn with red color can be broken into x-y-z components and why after bouncing back only x component of velocity changed and y ,z components remained same?

It's bouncing off a y-z plane. Just bounce a ball off a vertical wall, and see which components reverse and which components remain the same. Only the component normal to the plane reverses.

Chet

Likes gracy
Chestermiller said:
It's bouncing off a y-z plane. Just bounce a ball off a vertical wall, and see which components reverse and which components remain the same. Only the component normal to the plane reverses.

Chet
how the velocity vector drawn with red color can be broken into x-y-z components ?
Chestermiller said:
It's bouncing off a y-z plane.
how you came to know that?

gracy said:
how the velocity vector drawn with red color can be broken into x-y-z components ?
You can always resolve a vector into components.

how you came to know that?
You can see in the figure that the wall that it bounces off is parallel to the y-z plane.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
You can always resolve a vector into components.
i know how to resolve vectors but only in 2 dimensions.

gracy said:
i know how to resolve vectors but only in 2 dimensions.
Well, it can be done in 3 dimensions too.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Well, it can be done in 3 dimensions too.

Chet
can all vectors be resolved in 3 dimensions?

gracy said:
can all vectors be resolved in 3 dimensions?
Yes. In 3D space, all vectors can be resolved into combinations of 3 linearly independent components.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Yes. In 3D space, all vectors can be resolved into combinations of 3 linearly independent components.

Chet
but only vectors which are in 3d ,for example this kind of vector (in the image below) can only be resolved in 2d i.e only with two perpendicular component.right?
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKd7xZd5V-4P4sk36mIENHU_m4sYE0QL5Pm8pa6md9cAnq5Z6j.jpg

gracy said:
but only vectors which are in 3d ,for example this kind of vector (in the image below) can only be resolved in 2d i.e only with two perpendicular component.right?
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKd7xZd5V-4P4sk36mIENHU_m4sYE0QL5Pm8pa6md9cAnq5Z6j.jpg
All that means is that the component out of the paper is zero.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
All that means is that the component out of the paper is zero.

Chet
ok if any vector is coming out of page ,what it's x component would be?i can only imagine it in y z plane.

gracy said:
ok if any vector is coming out of page ,what it's x component would be?i can only imagine it in y z plane.
If the vector is through the origin, then you drop a normal from its tip to each of the three coordinate axes to get its x, y, and z components.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
its tip
From Tip of vector which has to be resolved?

gracy said:
From Tip of vector which has to be resolved?
Yes.

1. What is the definition of pressure in an ideal gas?

The pressure of an ideal gas is defined as the force exerted by the gas on the walls of its container per unit area. It is caused by the collisions of gas molecules with the container walls.

2. How is the pressure of an ideal gas related to its volume and temperature?

According to the ideal gas law, the pressure of an ideal gas is directly proportional to its temperature and inversely proportional to its volume. This means that as temperature increases, pressure increases, and as volume increases, pressure decreases.

3. What is the unit of measurement for pressure of an ideal gas?

The unit of measurement for pressure of an ideal gas is typically expressed in pascals (Pa) or kilopascals (kPa). In some cases, other units such as atmospheres (atm) or millimeters of mercury (mmHg) may also be used.

4. How does the number of gas molecules affect the pressure of an ideal gas?

The pressure of an ideal gas is directly proportional to the number of gas molecules present in a given volume. This means that as the number of gas molecules increases, the pressure also increases, and vice versa.

5. Can the pressure of an ideal gas be negative?

No, the pressure of an ideal gas cannot be negative. Since pressure is defined as a force per unit area, it must always have a positive value. Negative pressure would imply that the gas is pulling rather than pushing on its container, which is not possible in an ideal gas.