Pressure of blood in an artery

In summary, the conversation discussed the average pressure of blood in a person's arteries and how to calculate the average pressure in an artery in the head of a standing person 40 cm above the heart, taking into account the blood and mercury densities and the acceleration due to gravity. The correct calculation is 9364 N/m2, rather than the incorrect answer of 3.2 N/m2.
axer

Homework Statement

1. The average pressure of the blood in a person’s arteries is 100 mmHg. What is the average pressure in an artery in the head of standing person 40 cm above the heart? (blood density= 1.05x103 kg/m3,Mercury density = 13.6x103 kg/m3 and g=10 m/s2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

it is clear that I have to include both 100 mmHg and the h= 0.4m to find Pressure at head artery.

pressure heart=pressure head + pgh <-- hight of head
100x10^-3 x 10 x 13600= pressure head + (1059x10x0.4)
pressure head= 3.2. this is wrong because the answer written is 9.09 x 103 N/m2.
Nevermind <-- wrong calculations I divided instead of subtracting (don't know how to delete this post) :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method sounds ok.
But it seems to me that,
100x10^-3 x 10 x 13600= pressure head + (1059x10x0.4)
∴ 13600 = Ph + 4236
∴ Ph = 13600 - 4236 = 9364

Not what you want, but not what you got

What is the normal range for blood pressure in an artery?

The normal range for blood pressure in an artery is typically between 90/60 mmHg to 120/80 mmHg. However, this can vary slightly depending on factors such as age, overall health, and physical activity level.

What causes high blood pressure in an artery?

High blood pressure in an artery, also known as hypertension, can be caused by a variety of factors including obesity, smoking, a sedentary lifestyle, excessive alcohol consumption, and genetics. Certain medical conditions such as diabetes and kidney disease can also contribute to high blood pressure.

What are the potential health risks of high blood pressure in an artery?

High blood pressure in an artery can lead to serious health complications if left untreated. These can include heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, vision loss, and aneurysms. It is important to monitor and manage high blood pressure to prevent these potential risks.

Can low blood pressure in an artery be dangerous?

In most cases, low blood pressure in an artery is not dangerous and may even be a sign of good cardiovascular health. However, extremely low blood pressure, also known as hypotension, can cause symptoms such as dizziness, fainting, and fatigue. If these symptoms occur frequently, it is important to consult a medical professional.

How can I maintain a healthy blood pressure in my arteries?

Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is key to maintaining a healthy blood pressure in your arteries. This includes regular physical activity, a balanced and nutritious diet, limiting alcohol consumption, and not smoking. It is also important to manage stress levels and regularly monitor your blood pressure to catch any changes early on.