Bernoulli Eq vs General Formula: Pressure of Fluid

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of pressure in a vertical pipe, specifically in relation to the Bernoulli equation. It is mentioned that pressure is lower where the area is smaller, but this is not a contradiction as the force (F) is not a constant in the equation. Instead, it is the fluid flow that remains constant. The discussion also touches on the idea of dynamic pressure and how it is affected by minimal compression in some fluids.
moatasim23
According to Bernoulli eq Pressure of a fluid in a vertical pipe is lower where area is small.But from General formula P=F/A.Pressure should be higher.Isnt it a contradiction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some fluids have minimal compression, like water. Two vertical pipes joined at the bottom with one smaller than the other would have movement.

Sorry I didnt get the point.Im assuming an incompressible fluid.

andytinker said:
Some fluids have minimal compression, like water. Two vertical pipes joined at the bottom with one smaller than the other would have movement.

?

moatasim23 said:
According to Bernoulli eq Pressure of a fluid in a vertical pipe is lower where area is small.But from General formula P=F/A.Pressure should be higher.Isnt it a contradiction?
It would be if F were a constant. In Bernoulli's equation it is the fluid flow that is constant, not the force

HallsofIvy said:
It would be if F were a constant. In Bernoulli's equation it is the fluid flow that is constant, not the force

Why F is not constant?On which factors does F depends here?

Is this explanation correct?
There are two types of pressures :
1)Static pressure
2)Dynamic pressure
In bernoullis eq we are talking about Dynamic pressure which increases or decreases wd fluid speed.

With minimal compression, the fluid doesn't follow PV=P1V1. If you have flow from a small section to large the pressure is lower, if its a compressible fluid that gets changed to velocity F=mv2, if its not velocity slows down.

I think

andytinker said:
With minimal compression, the fluid doesn't follow PV=P1V1. If you have flow from a small section to large the pressure is lower, if its a compressible fluid that gets changed to velocity F=mv2, if its not velocity slows down.

I think

I didnt get my answer.:(

1. What is the Bernoulli Equation and how is it different from the General Formula for pressure of a fluid?

The Bernoulli Equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that describes the relationship between fluid flow and pressure. It states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases. The General Formula for pressure of a fluid, on the other hand, is a more general equation that takes into account the density and height of the fluid in addition to its velocity.

2. Which equation should I use to calculate the pressure of a fluid?

The choice between using the Bernoulli Equation or the General Formula for pressure of a fluid depends on the specific scenario and what information you have available. If you have data on the fluid's velocity, the Bernoulli Equation may be more appropriate. If you have information on the fluid's density and height, the General Formula may be a better choice.

3. Can the Bernoulli Equation and the General Formula be used interchangeably?

No, the Bernoulli Equation and the General Formula are not interchangeable. They are two separate equations that are used to calculate the pressure of a fluid under different conditions. It is important to understand when each equation is applicable and which variables are needed for each one.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Bernoulli Equation and the General Formula?

Both equations have limitations and assumptions that must be considered when using them. The Bernoulli Equation assumes that the fluid is incompressible, inviscid (has no internal friction), and flows along a streamline. The General Formula assumes a constant density and neglects any external forces acting on the fluid, such as gravity.

5. In what real-world applications are the Bernoulli Equation and the General Formula used?

The Bernoulli Equation and the General Formula are used in various applications in engineering and physics. Some examples include designing aircraft wings and propellers, calculating water flow in pipes, and understanding blood flow in the human body. These equations are also used in weather forecasting, aerodynamics, and hydraulic engineering.