1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure of Reservoir

1. Mar 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What pressure Pr, is required to achieve a flow rate of 10 m/s into the underwater reservoir if the tank is 100 m below the surface. Liquid ammonia is to be transferred with a density of 682 kg/m^3 and the pipe diameter is 5 cm. The reservoir underwater is at local hydrostatic pressure. A picture is included.

2. Relevant equations

Bernoulli's Eqn: P1 + (1/2)[tex]\rho[/tex]U2 +[tex]\rho[/tex]gz

3. The attempt at a solution
    At first I thought that it was as simple as plugging in the values given into the formula and solving for P1, but then I realized that they gave us the diameter of the pipe too so I'm guessing it has some significance. I can't seem to figure it out though, any help would be great.

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq12/ACE_99_photo/Untitled-2.jpg" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2009 #2

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Ace. Bernoulli's equation is just one of the necessary equations to calculate this. The other is the irreversible pressure drop of fluid that flows through a pipe which is best done using the Darcy Weisbach equation. You can plug the DW equation into the B equation simply by recognizing that there is a permenant pressure drop under flow equal to the pressure predicted by the DW equation.

Take a look at the DW equation and try to understand how the flow of fluid corresponds to some pressure drop in a pipe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook