Solving for the Depth of Release: Pressure on a Ball

In summary, the ball is released at a depth h below the surface of water and shoots upwards by 1m. The density of the ball is 0.400 times that of water and the drag force is negligible. Taking the net upward force to be the buoyancy force, the potential energy difference between the ball's initial position and its position at the surface can be calculated by finding the product of the ball's mass, acceleration due to gravity, and its depth h. This can be set equal to the potential energy gained by the ball at the surface, which is equal to its mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity and the height it rises. Thus, by solving for h, the depth at which the ball was released can
BoostAdiction
[SOLVED] Pressure on a ball

Homework Statement

Suppose you release a small ball from rest at a depth h below the surface of water. The ball shoots upwards above the surface by 1m. If the density of the ball is .400 that of water and drag force on the ball from water is negligible, at what depth was the ball released?

Homework Equations

I'm assuming p(2)=p(1) + dg(y(1)-y(2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have to find the pressure on the ball in order to start solving this. I also know that the force due to gravity on the ball is less than that of the buoyancy force because the ball shoots upwards. I also know that the pressure increases as h below the water increases

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi BoostAdiction! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: Try this as a potential energy problem rather than a pressure problem.

What is the potential energy difference between the ball being distance h below the surface and being at the surface? :smile:

If you set the ball below the surface to be 0, then the potential energy is 0. Thus, the ball at the surface has a potential energy equal to mgh. Both m and h are unknown. And thanks for the welcome!

BoostAdiction said:
Thus, the ball at the surface has a potential energy equal to mgh.

Whoa!

It isn't g, is it?

What is the effective force of gravity (in other words, the actual acceleration) under the water?

For a start, it's up and not down, isn't it?

Try again! :smile:

So it has an acceleration in the positive direction. I understand that much, then its all a lil fuzzy

BoostAdiction said:
So it has an acceleration in the positive direction. I understand that much, then its all a lil fuzzy

Hi BoostAdiction! :smile:

Normally, I'd recommend looking at wikipedia … but I've just checked the page on Buoyancy, and it looks terribly long and confusing! :redface:

So let's ignore wikipedia … what are the forces on the ball, in terms of volume, density of ball, and density of water?

So what is the overall force?

And then what is the acceleration? :smile:

haha, good ole' wiki. Theres a force due to gravity pushing down on it, and one pushin up (buoyancy force) and I think the net upward force is that buoyancy force...

BoostAdiction said:
haha, good ole' wiki. Theres a force due to gravity pushing down on it, and one pushin up (buoyancy force) and I think the net upward force is that buoyancy force...

Yeeees … but how much is it?! :smile:

Well the acceleration has to be greater than 9.8 to have an upwards effect on the ball...So would i take .4 x 9.8 to get the force due to gravity?

BoostAdiction said:
Well the acceleration has to be greater than 9.8 to have an upwards effect on the ball...So would i take .4 x 9.8 to get the force due to gravity?

erm … would you take 1 x 9.8 if it had the same density as water? :redface:

Or 5 x 9.8 if it was 5 times as dense?

Either do the equations …
tiny-tim said:
… what are the forces on the ball, in terms of volume, density of ball, and density of water?

So what is the overall force?

And then what is the acceleration? :smile:

… or make a good guess! :biggrin:

What is pressure on a ball?

Pressure on a ball is the force exerted on the surface of the ball by the air or fluid that surrounds it. It is measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

What factors affect the pressure on a ball?

The pressure on a ball is affected by the force applied to it, the area of the ball's surface, and the density of the surrounding air or fluid. Additionally, the temperature and altitude can also affect the pressure on a ball.

How is pressure on a ball calculated?

The pressure on a ball can be calculated using the formula P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is the surface area of the ball. This formula is based on the principle of Pascal's Law, which states that pressure is equal to the force divided by the area over which the force is applied.

What happens to the pressure on a ball when it is inflated?

As a ball is inflated, the pressure inside the ball increases. This is because more air molecules are packed into the same volume, resulting in a greater force exerted on the ball's surface. The pressure will continue to increase until it reaches equilibrium with the surrounding air or fluid.

Why is pressure on a ball important?

Pressure on a ball is important because it affects the ball's behavior and performance. For sports balls, the right amount of pressure is necessary for proper inflation and bounce. In other applications, such as tires or air mattresses, the pressure must be carefully controlled for safety and functionality.