Is the pressure on a diver different from the pressure on a lungfish?

• Thread starter jumbogala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the concept of pressure was discussed and the formula P = Patm + ρgh was used to calculate the pressure at 45 m underwater. There was some confusion about the final answer, but it was eventually corrected to 551 579 Pa. The question also mentioned estimating, but it was unclear what that meant in this context.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

I'm having some trouble with the concept of pressure, so I'd like to make sure I'm not doing this wrong!

What is the pressure 45 m underwater?

Homework Equations

P = Patm + ρgh

The Attempt at a Solution

Density of seawater = 1020 kg/m3
Patm = 101300 Pa

So P = 101300 Pa + (1020 kg/m3)(9.81 m/s2)(45 m) = 154 274 Pa or 154 kPa.

My question is - the pressure on something huge should be the same as the pressure on something small, right?

Also, I read something about the pressure on a diver being the atmospheric pressure plus the water pressure. But the atmospheric pressure is taken into account already by the formula used, so I don't need to add it in again, correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Right basically. So the question really doesn't have much to do with lungfish. It's just what the pressure is 45m below the sea. But I don't see why you think 101300 Pa + (1020 kg/m3)(9.81 m/s2)(45 m) = 154 274 Pa. That's WAY off. Can you check it again?

Whoa, you're right. I don't know how I got that...

(1020 kg/m^3)(9.81m/s^2)(45 m) = 450 279 Pa

Add that to 101 300 Pa and you get 551 579 Pa. I must have skipped a button on my calculator the first time.

I was just confused because the question says "estimate", but this isn't really an estimate. Usually my prof would only ask us to estimate if we didn't exactly know one of the values to use.

Guess I'm not sure what "estimate" means in this context either. Unless it just means not using the calculator at all and rounding things off so you get 100000+1000*10*45=550000. Which is pretty close. And doing that might have helped you to realize your were missing a button somehow.

1. What is the purpose of studying pressure on a lungfish?

Studying pressure on a lungfish helps us understand how these unique animals have adapted to their environment and how they are able to survive in both water and on land.

2. How does pressure affect a lungfish's ability to breathe?

Pressure plays a crucial role in a lungfish's ability to breathe as it helps them maintain proper lung function and gas exchange. Changes in pressure can impact their ability to take in oxygen and release carbon dioxide.

3. What method is used to measure pressure on a lungfish?

The most common method used to measure pressure on a lungfish is through a pressure transducer, which is a device that can accurately measure the force exerted by the fish's lungs.

4. How does a lungfish adapt to changes in pressure?

A lungfish has the ability to adjust the volume of air in its lungs to adapt to changes in pressure. They can also hold their breath for extended periods of time to cope with changes in water pressure.

5. Are lungfish able to survive in high pressure environments?

Lungfish are able to survive in high pressure environments, such as deep water or on land, due to their unique respiratory system and ability to adjust their lung volume. However, extended exposure to high pressure can have negative effects on their health and survival.