1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure on a Piston

1. Sep 4, 2011 #1
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/fdsfsadf.png/
    So here's an image of a piston. First of all, this is for a thermodynamics class. Is thermodynamics considered to be "physics?" Do physics majors take thermodynamics?

So my question is: When writing the forces on the piston, it is obvious that we have the pressures acting on the piston from the gases in the chambers, and also a spring force on the second piston figure. I thought it was also obvious that there is Fg = mg acting on the piston as well. However, when I peeked at the solution manual, weight is not included in the force equation. Why is this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2011 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Post the exact text of the problem.

4. Sep 5, 2011 #3
    The piston diameters in Figure are D1 = 10 cm and D2 = 4 cm. When the pressure in chamber 2 is 2000 kPa and the pressure in chamber 3 is 700 kPa, what is the pressure in chamber 1, in kPa?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook