Pressure on an item underwater

In summary, when an item is submerged underwater, I believe that pressure from the surrounding water is equal in pressure around the item except from beneath, is this correct?
When an item is submerged underwater, I believe that pressure from the surrounding water is equal in pressure around the item except from beneath, is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
2112 said:
When an item is submerged underwater, I believe that pressure from the surrounding water is equal in pressure around the item except from beneath, is this correct?
The pressure exerted by a liquid increases linearly with depth, i.e. the deeper you go the more pressure is exerted. However, this pressure is exerted uniformly at a certain 'level' in all directions. Therefore, there is a greater force (note force not pressure) pushing a submerged object upwards than downwards; i.e. there is a net force upwards. This is buoyancy.

If you might indulge me,? , if I wanted to pump air too, say a depth of eight feet, and I only was equipped with something with a low psi, (very minimal psi), how would it be easier to have the air break the barrier of pressure/force to escape its chamber?
Would I have a better chance at trying to get the low pressure air out by pointing it upwards or down, (at that eight foot level).
Before I forget there is a sort of check valve on it that won't let water through its outlet, but air can move freely throught it.

Last edited:
With a little thought and be reading what I have posted above, you should be able to answer this question yourself.

2112 said:
If you might indulge me,? , if I wanted to pump air too, say a depth of eight feet, and I only was equipped with something with a low psi, (very minimal psi), how would it be easier to have the air break the barrier of pressure/force to escape its chamber?
Would I have a better chance at trying to get the low pressure air out by pointing it upwards or down, (at that eight foot level).
Before I forget there is a sort of check valve on it that won't let water through its outlet, but air can move freely throught it.

I'm confused. Are you pumping air down? "pump air too, say a depth of eight feet"
Or are you pumping the air up? "escape its chamber?", "get the low pressure air out by pointing it upwards or down, (at that eight foot level)."

The air goes down through a hose to a depth of 8 foot, I just wondered how best under the circumstances could I get an air bubble come up from that depth.

Well, unless your container at the 8 foot level is both rigid in structure and held securely in place, the air down there will happily come up from that depth without any help from you... Your container will implode, or it will rocket to the surface.

OTOH, if it is both those things, then you move air to and fro with free abandon. You could blow in it if you chose.

Look, it seems tome you're beating around the bush. I think you're going to need to illustrate what you are talking about if you want meaningful answers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers, you gave me a better understanding of force and pressure and I appreciate the help!

What is pressure on an item underwater?

Pressure on an item underwater is the force exerted on an object by the surrounding water. This force is a result of the weight of the water above the object and can have a significant impact on the object's behavior and structural integrity.

How does the depth affect pressure on an item underwater?

The deeper an object is submerged in water, the greater the pressure on that object. This is because as depth increases, the weight of the water above the object also increases, resulting in a higher pressure being exerted on the object.

What is the formula for calculating pressure on an item underwater?

The formula for calculating pressure on an item underwater is P = ρgh, where P is the pressure in Pascals, ρ is the density of the fluid in kilograms per cubic meter, g is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared, and h is the depth in meters. This formula is known as the hydrostatic pressure equation.

How does pressure on an item underwater affect its buoyancy?

The pressure on an object underwater can affect its buoyancy by changing its overall density. If the pressure on the object increases, it will become more compact and its density will increase, making it less buoyant. If the pressure decreases, the object will expand and become less dense, increasing its buoyancy.

What are some examples of how pressure on an item underwater is used in real life?

Pressure on an item underwater is used in various areas of science and engineering, including scuba diving, submarine design, and marine biology. It is also an essential factor in understanding the behavior of objects in deep-sea environments and in studying the effects of pressure on the human body during deep-sea diving.