Pressure on Pope to apologize to Muslims

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary: Benedict was trying to show support for his Muslim counterpart, and he did so by quoting an emperor who was not only fighting against them, but was also trying to discredit their faith.This is a little more complicated than what I originally thought. It seems that he was quoting a medieval text referring to a debate between the Byzantine emperor Manuel II Palaeologus and a Persian Muslim.In summary, Pope Benedict apologized for his comments about Islam, but some people are still angry. He said that his comments were misinterpreted and that he was only trying to show support for his Muslim counterpart.
Anttech said:
but the USA supported the Taliban at one point.
I don't recall the US government supporting the Taliban per se, however the US government did support various mujahideen groups, some of which included Taliban, in Afghanistan during the Soviet invasion/occupation. The US had an interest in preventing the Soviet Union from controlling Afghanistan. It was in Afghanistan that the intelligence community became concerned about 'blowback' during the mid-1980's.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you find reference to a non-public threat?
Why should I? I didnt assert that you had made a non-public threat.

I assert that since you haven't admitted you have them, it makes it impossible to make a public threat. There is rather a big difference between asserting that you made a non-public threat, and what I actually asserted. Regardless, would you like to tell me, how one can reference a non-public threat? via a non-public newspaper? I don't have access to confidential reports.

I don't recall the US government supporting the Taliban per se, however the US government did support various mujahideen groups, some of which included Taliban, in Afghanistan during the Soviet invasion/occupation.
Ermmm.. You don't recall, per say, or you don't recall? Because the US Government did support the Taliban, during the cold war. The Taliban is just as you said. A bunch of different groups, which the media bundles together and calls the Taliban

Anttech said:
Why should I? I didnt assert that you had made a non-public threat.

I assert that since you haven't admitted you have them, it makes it impossible to make a public threat. There is rather a big difference between asserting that you made a non-public threat, and what I actually asserted. Regardless, would you like to tell me, how one can reference a non-public threat? via a non-public newspaper? I don't have access to confidential reports.
I meant a non-public threat that was later made public, for example uncovered by the media.

I meant a non-public threat that was later made public, for example uncovered by the media.

Cant say I can reference that, is it even relevant to the point I am making?

That is, you have a secret nuclear arsenal how can you threaten someone with that arsenal.

So your making us look at your track record when there isn't one, because you don't have any nukes, as far as we are conserned :rolleyes: isn't a valid reason as why you should be allowed to have them and not sign the Non-Proliferation treaty and Iran shouldn't be allowed them and has signed.

Anttech said:
Cant say I can reference that, is it even relevant to the point I am making?

That is, you have a secret nuclear arsenal how can you threaten someone with that arsenal.

So your making us look at your track record when there isn't one, because you don't have any nukes, as far as we are conserned :rolleyes: isn't a valid reason as why you should be allowed to have them and not sign the Non-Proliferation treaty and Iran shouldn't be allowed them and has signed.
Well if there are no nukes there's nothing to complain about, is there? If there are nukes, and they have been sitting in their tunnels for nearly half a century now, that's a good track record. Especially considering that during this time Israel has known very morbid days. During the Yom-Kippur war there was a lot of dark humour, the epitome of which was a joke about the last Jew in Israel remembering to switch off the lights.

That isn't dark humor, that is absurd fearmongering akin to the http://www.freeman.org/m_online/jan04/simons.htm" .

Last edited by a moderator:
kyleb said:
That isn't dark humor, that is absurd fearmongering akin to the http://www.freeman.org/m_online/jan04/simons.htm" .
Oh you were here back then were you?
Look kyleb, as long as you hang on to words by people like Chaim Simons and Neturei Karta, you will never understand Israelis. In that sense you are no different from Chaim Simons, Ze'ev Jabotinsky and Noam Chomsky. As a matter of fact, I must inform you I know your type very well. Had you been an Israeli, IMO you would have been a die-hard right winger. Radicals are radicals, on both ends of the political spectrum.
Let me know when you wish to join us here in the real world.
Also, please stop spewing venomous propaganda whenever your argument reaches a dead end.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just doing my part to shed a bit of light on the absurdly of the propaganda you spew and delusional double standards you so vehemently cling to. How old were you during the Yom Kippur War? Yeah.:grumpy:

kyleb said:
I'm just doing my part to shed a bit of light on the absurdly of the propaganda you spew and delusional double standards you so vehemently cling to.
Just try to use acceptable debate practices and to bring in genuine sources.
kyleb said:
How old were you during the Yom Kippur War? Yeah.:grumpy:
Right now in the adjoining room to mine there are over a dozen people who lived through that time. Do you want me to ask one of them to explain the feeling in Israel in the first days after the Arab surprise attack on Yom Kippur?

Last edited:
Like I said; delusional double standards.