1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure on Sphere

1. Apr 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Basically I need to find the pressure on a solid sphere of brass 10,000 feet below the ocean. diameter of the sphere is 11 inches.

2. Relevant equations

62.4 lb/ft3 p=F/A

3. The attempt at a solution

This is part of a larger problem where I need to find the change in diameter, the change in volume and the strain energy, but first I need to determine the uniform stress compressing the ball.

I figured if I took the column of water above the sphere using 62.4(10,000) then subtracted the excess at the largest cross section of the sphereIE. 62.4(10,000)-(1ftx1ft)-pi(5.5in)^2. If im right this should give me the weight of the water directly above the sphere. I can then use this weight and divide by the surface area over the entire sphere to get the stress. I have tried variations of this but to no avail.

Ideas? Thank you

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?