Calculate Tire Pressure After Compression & Heating

• Thread starter trah22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, a tire originally inflated with air at 10 degrees Celsius and normal atmospheric pressure is compressed to 28% of its original volume and heated to 40 degrees Celsius. Using the equation pV=nRT, the tire pressure can be calculated by setting the initial and final volumes and temperatures equal to each other. The resulting equation is (P1)(V1)/283 K = (P2)(V1*0.28)/313 K, which can be solved for P2 in terms of P1. After driving at high speeds, the tire air temperature rises to 85 degrees Celsius and the interior volume increases by 2%. Using the same equation and substituting in the given values, the
trah22

Homework Statement

automobile tire is inflated with air originally at 10 degrees celcius and at normal atmosphere pressure. During the process the air is compressed to 28% of its original volume and the tempreture is increased to 40 degrees celcius, what's tire pressure?

Homework Equations

pv=nrt so p=nrt/v

The Attempt at a Solution

p=(not sure what to use for n)(.0821)(30K)/(72)

i subracted 28 from 100 to get 72 for volume not sure if that's right(i also posted this question in the advanced physics forum by too i wasnt sure where to put it)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Realize that PV/T = constant: use ratios. If you call the original volume V, what is the final volume? What are the initial and final temperatures? (What temperature scale must you use?)

the temp has to be in kelvin, according to my notes for equation of state, so the intial temp was 283 K and the final is 313 hence my 30K value in my attempted solution... um is pv/t=constant because pv=nrt=Nkt? I know volume and temp are related(if temp increases volume increases) but i don't see exactly how to relate them according to what u said...

trah22 said:
...is pv/t=constant because pv=nrt=Nkt?
Yes.

Try this:

[tex]\frac{P_1 V_1}{T_1} = \frac{P_2 V_2}{T_2}[/tex]

Fill in the values as best you can. Hint: How would you write [itex]V_2[/itex] in terms of [itex]V_1[/itex]?

well, P1(v1)/283K=P2(v1*.28)/313..
arghh jeez as u can tell physics is not my fortay, I am a bio-chem major

Good. Now just solve for P2 in terms of P1 and you're done.

P2=(313(P1)(V1))/((v1(.28)(283))
=313(P1)(v1)/(79.24(V1))
=3.95(p1)
did calculate it out correctly?

Last edited:
theres 1 more part to this question, after the car is driven at a high speed, the tire air temp rose to 85 degrees celcius and the interior volume of the tire increased by 2%, what's the new tire pressure in pascals?

(P2)V2/(313)=((P3(V2(.2)/(358)
P3=358(p2)(v2)/313(v2*.2)
=358p2(v2)/62.6v2
=5.718(P2)
but according to the question i need to put it in pascals...

trah22 said:
P2=(313(P1)(V1))/((v1(.28)(283))
=313(P1)(v1)/(79.24(V1))
=3.95(p1)
did calculate it out correctly?
Looks good. Note that you are given P1--that's atmospheric pressure. So you can express your answer in terms of Pascals.

trah22 said:
(P2)V2/(313)=((P3(V2(.2)/(358)
P3=358(p2)(v2)/313(v2*.2)
=358p2(v2)/62.6v2
=5.718(P2)
Where did you get T3 = 358? And if the volume increases by 2%, what is V3 in terms of V2?

but according to the question i need to put it in pascals...
You are finding P3 in terms of P2, but you know P2 in terms of P1--and thus Pascals--from the first part of the problem.

alright, 1atm=1.013x10^5 pascals so P2=4.0x10^5 pascals,
for t3 i just took the 85 degrees celcius and converted to 358K

alright here's my go at the problem again in terms of volume and pressure,

4x10^5Pa(v2)/313K=P3(V2(.02)/358
P3=358(4x10^5)(v2)/313(v2(.02)
p3=1.43x10^8/6.26
p3=2.28x10^7Pa

i had to have messed up somewhere that's way to large of a value, did i plug in the worng value for the pressure.. i just used the coversion value for pascals...

trah22 said:
for t3 i just took the 85 degrees celcius and converted to 358K
OK, good. But V3 does not equal V2(0.02). That's way off. The volume increases by 2%--you have it decreasing by 98%.

oh so it should have been v2(.98)

so P3=4x10^5Pa(358)(v2)/313(v2(.98)
=4.668x10^5Pa
does this large of a value for pressure seem correct but anyhow thanks for all the help,i appreciate it:smile:

trah22 said:
oh so it should have been v2(.98)
No, but you're getting closer. This time you have the volume decreasing by 2%.

interior volume increases by 2%, so the original v2 is 100% plus 2% increase so v2(1.02)... ud just add the 2% since it just increases then..

Now you've got it.

heh thanks for all the help again doc

1. How does compression and heating affect tire pressure?

When a tire is compressed and heated, the air particles inside the tire become more energetic and move around more, causing an increase in pressure. This is because the molecules are colliding with each other and the walls of the tire more frequently, creating a greater force on the walls of the tire, resulting in a higher pressure.

2. What formula is used to calculate tire pressure after compression and heating?

The ideal gas law, PV = nRT, is used to calculate tire pressure after compression and heating. P represents pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. This formula can be rearranged to solve for pressure, allowing us to calculate the new tire pressure after compression and heating.

3. Why is it important to calculate tire pressure after compression and heating?

It is important to calculate tire pressure after compression and heating because an incorrect tire pressure can lead to safety hazards and decreased performance of the vehicle. Under-inflated tires can cause poor handling and increased wear, while over-inflated tires can cause blowouts and decreased traction.

4. How do I measure the temperature and volume of a compressed and heated tire?

The temperature of a tire can be measured using a thermometer, either inserted into the valve stem or placed on the surface of the tire. The volume of a tire can be determined by measuring its dimensions or using a tire pressure gauge with a built-in volume calculator.

5. Can tire pressure be calculated without measuring the volume of the tire?

No, the volume of the tire is a necessary component in calculating tire pressure. Without knowing the volume, the ideal gas law cannot be applied to determine the pressure. It is important to measure the volume accurately in order to get an accurate calculation of tire pressure after compression and heating.