Total force exerted on the can by the air pressure?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of crushing a sealed can with the help of air pressure. The dimensions of the can are given as 0.24m x 0.16m x 0.10m and it is assumed to be in a perfect vacuum. The question asks for the total force exerted on the can by the air pressure outside, given the pressure and surface area of the can. The formula used to solve this problem is force = pressure x area. The conversation also includes a discussion on finding the surface area of the can and converting 1 atm to pascals. The final solution is achieved by multiplying the surface area of the can (1568.1568) with the pressure outside the can (
Sucks@Physics
A small quantity of water is poured into a can, the water is brought to a boil. Then the can is sealed with a rubber stopper. As you watch, the can is slowly crushed with sounds of metal bending. Assuming the dimensions of the can are 0.24m x 0.16m x 0.10m and the inside of the can is in a perfect vacuum, what is the total force exerted on the can by the air pressure?

Now I don't just need the answer i need to know how to solve it. Thanks in advance !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what is the pressure outside the can? what is the surface area of the can. I assume the can is a cube given the dimensions...

what is the relationship between force, pressure and area?

That's all the question gives me. I'm guessing 1 atm pressure and the area is .00384 m from the given dimesions? I'm not completely sure

Sucks@Physics said:
That's all the question gives me. I'm guessing 1 atm pressure and the area is .00384 m from the given dimesions? I'm not completely sure

you calculated the volume of the cube... you need the surface area. so the sum of the areas of the 6 sides. convert 1 atm to pascals...

Last edited:
I still don't know how to do this problem can some1 give me formulas?

Sucks@Physics said:
I still don't know how to do this problem can some1 give me formulas?

length = 0.24m
width = 0.16m
height = 0.10m

can you find the area of the 6 sides of the cube?

side 1 and 2... length*width
side 3 and 4... width*height etc...

Last edited:

Sucks@Physics said:

exactly. And what's the pressure outside the can in Pa?

1.01 KPa so you just multiply them together correct?

1. What is the definition of total force exerted on the can by air pressure?

The total force exerted on the can by air pressure is the sum of all the individual forces from the air molecules colliding with the surface of the can. This force is typically measured in newtons (N) and is responsible for keeping the can from collapsing under the pressure.

2. How is the total force exerted on the can by air pressure calculated?

The total force exerted on the can by air pressure can be calculated using the formula F = PA, where F is the force, P is the pressure, and A is the surface area of the can. This formula is derived from the definition of pressure, which is force per unit area.

3. What factors affect the total force exerted on the can by air pressure?

The total force exerted on the can by air pressure is affected by the air pressure, the surface area of the can, and the material and thickness of the can. Other factors such as temperature and altitude can also have an impact on the air pressure and therefore, the total force exerted on the can.

4. Can the total force exerted on the can by air pressure be greater than the weight of the can?

Yes, the total force exerted on the can by air pressure can be greater than the weight of the can. This typically occurs when the air pressure inside the can is significantly higher than the atmospheric pressure outside, causing the can to feel lighter and potentially even lift off the ground.

5. How does the total force exerted on the can by air pressure affect the structural integrity of the can?

The total force exerted on the can by air pressure is an important factor in maintaining the structural integrity of the can. Too much force can cause the can to burst or collapse, while too little force can cause the can to crumple. Proper design and material selection can help ensure that the can can withstand the force exerted by the air pressure.