1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure problem

1. Nov 19, 2003 #1
    I have a somewhat unique question here.

I know that [tex]Pd[/tex] is a very good absorper of hydrogen. My question is, supposing you start with a given volume of [tex]Pd[/tex] and a given volume of [tex]H[/tex] or even [tex]H_2[/tex] and it is absorped by the [tex]Pd[/tex] is it possible to calculate the pressure that the hydrogen is under while it is inside the lattice structure of the [tex]Pd[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2003 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Try rephrasing your question; you want to know something about hydrogen in palladium, but as stated, it's not clear just what.

4. Nov 20, 2003 #3
    I wish to know the pressure that the hydrogen is under when it is absorped by the palladium. A given volume of [tex]Pd[/tex] will absorp a given amount of hydrogen. Since the volume of the [tex]Pd[/tex] remains constant, there must be a pressure exerted on the hydrogen to keep it within. I wish to know how to calculate that pressure.

5. Nov 20, 2003 #4
    Wolf, et al. (1993) "Pressure-composition isotherms for palladium hydride." Phys. Rev. B. 48: 12415 - 12418.

You can start here and refine as needed.

Heh.

6. Nov 20, 2003 #5
    Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?