Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure problem

1. Nov 19, 2003 #1
    I have a somewhat unique question here.

I know that [tex]Pd[/tex] is a very good absorper of hydrogen. My question is, supposing you start with a given volume of [tex]Pd[/tex] and a given volume of [tex]H[/tex] or even [tex]H_2[/tex] and it is absorped by the [tex]Pd[/tex] is it possible to calculate the pressure that the hydrogen is under while it is inside the lattice structure of the [tex]Pd[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2003 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try rephrasing your question; you want to know something about hydrogen in palladium, but as stated, it's not clear just what.

4. Nov 20, 2003 #3
    I wish to know the pressure that the hydrogen is under when it is absorped by the palladium. A given volume of [tex]Pd[/tex] will absorp a given amount of hydrogen. Since the volume of the [tex]Pd[/tex] remains constant, there must be a pressure exerted on the hydrogen to keep it within. I wish to know how to calculate that pressure.

5. Nov 20, 2003 #4
    Wolf, et al. (1993) "Pressure-composition isotherms for palladium hydride." Phys. Rev. B. 48: 12415 - 12418.

You can start here and refine as needed.

Heh.

6. Nov 20, 2003 #5
    Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?