Air Pressure Problems: Calculating Volume & Mass

• Thread starter Robert Alan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, A tube with air in it is marked off by 1cm marks up to 10cm. The area of the tube is 10cm^2 and a 0.3kg mass is pushing a plunger down to compress the air. Using the equation F/A = F2/A2, the pressure inside the sealed tube is calculated to be 0.295Pa. The volume of air in the tube is 20cm^3. When the mass is increased to 0.6kg, the volume decreases to 6cm mark. To compress the plunger down to 2cm, 1.2kg of mass is required. It is assumed that the ideal gas law is not required as temperature
Robert Alan

Homework Statement

A tube with air in it is marked off by 1cm marks up to 10cm. 0.3kg mass is pushing a plunger down to compress the air. The area of the tube is 10cm^2.

a. What is the pressure inside the sealed tube? 0.295Pa
b. What is the volume of air in the tube? 20cm^3
c. If the mass is increased to 0.6kg, what is the new volume?
d. How much mass is required to squeeze the plunger down to 2cm?

Homework Equations

F/A = F2/A2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find an equation that had both volume and mass in it and was stumped. The new force of the mass is 0.6kg(9.8)N. After that I have no clue. Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know about the ideal gas law? Does the temperature change in this problem?

Don't forget that there is already an abmient pressure (both inside and outside the tube).

No this is just a cylinder with air in it and something pushing down with a force. I think the problem has to be solved for the initial pressure P1 and using P1V1=P2V2 solve for the second pressure then extract the force out and solve for mass. But I'm getting some goofy answers and I'm sure I've made errors in the math involving converting cubic centimeters to cubic meters. I'm still working on it lol.

Since the question does not mention temperature I suppose you will not need the ideal gas equation. Show us your working in full?

Okay give me a second to organize it.

m1=0.3kg
Area=10cm^2 or 0.001m^2
P=F/A = 2.94 / 0.001 = 2940Pa
F=0.3 * 9.8 = 2.94N
Volume = Bh = 10x8 (currently at the 8cm mark) = 80cm^3

Now the mass increases to 0.6kg

F= 5.88N

That's as far as I got. I'm trying to figure out howto get this in P1V1=P2V2.

queenofbabes said:
Since the question does not mention temperature I suppose you will not need the ideal gas equation.
Some version of it is required. Some relation between pressure and volume. Sometimes one must use physical intuition (or a larger list of formulas that are implicitly derived from a single formula) when some relevant piece of information (e.g. the value of the temperature) is not explicitly given. IMHO, physical intuition is better than mindlessly applying random formulas when solving physics problems.

Last edited:
Robert Alan said:
P=F/A = 2.94 / 0.001 = 2940Pa
It looks like you're calculating gauge pressue (i.e. neglecting atmospheric pressure). The pressure that appears in [Boyle's?] law is absolute pressue, not gauge pressure.

Robert Alan said:
(currently at the 8cm mark)
How did you obtain this little tidbit of information?

turin said:
It looks like you're calculating gauge pressue (i.e. neglecting atmospheric pressure). The pressure that appears in [Boyle's?] law is absolute pressue, not gauge pressure.

How did you obtain this little tidbit of information?

The 8cm mark was given to us in the problem. After the 0.6kg mass it went down to the 6cm mark. So based on that I assumed 0.9kg would put it at 4cm and 1.2kg at 2cm. It turned out to be the correct answer. But as more pressure builds up it would take more mass to push the plunger down, at least in my mind it would. *Shrug*

Robert Alan said:
The 8cm mark was given to us in the problem.
OK, future reference, don't omit information from the problem statement. For instance, without that info (or, e.g., the volume in the tube without the mass), you cannot answer part b.

Robert Alan said:
... as more pressure builds up it would take more mass to push the plunger down, ...
I'm not sure what you mean, but the relationship is certainly not linear.

1. What is air pressure?

Air pressure is the force exerted by the weight of the Earth's atmosphere above a given point. It is caused by the collision of air molecules and is affected by factors such as temperature, altitude, and weather conditions.

2. How is air pressure measured?

Air pressure is typically measured using a barometer, which can be either a mercury barometer or an aneroid barometer. The unit of measurement for air pressure is usually in either millibars (mb) or inches of mercury (inHg).

3. How do you calculate volume and mass using air pressure?

To calculate the volume of a gas using air pressure, you can use the ideal gas law: PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin. To calculate the mass of a gas using air pressure, you would need to know the density of the gas, which can be found using the ideal gas law or by using the equation m = D x V, where m is the mass, D is the density, and V is the volume.

4. How does air pressure affect weather?

Air pressure plays a major role in weather patterns. High pressure systems are associated with clear, sunny skies, while low pressure systems are associated with cloudy, stormy weather. Changes in air pressure can also indicate changes in weather, such as a sudden drop in pressure before a storm.

5. How does air pressure change with altitude?

Air pressure decreases as altitude increases. This is because there is less air above a given point at higher altitudes, resulting in fewer air molecules colliding and exerting less force. This is why it is harder to breathe at high altitudes, as there is less oxygen in each breath due to the lower air pressure.