The webpage title could be: Calculating the Force of Air on Your Head

In summary, the question is asking for the force of the air on the top of your head, given that the surface area is 113 cm2. To solve this, the formula P = F/A is used, where P is the atmospheric pressure and A is the surface area. After converting the units, the answer is 1145 N. However, the initial mistake was using F= P/A instead of F= P*A.
Deeviant
Ok I have the following question:

If the top of your head has a surface area of 113 cm2, what is the weight of the air above your head?

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I used the P = F/A. Solved for F to get F= P/A. I'm assuming the question is asking me for the force of the air on my head.

I'm using a figure of 1.013X10^5 Pa for atmospheric pressure, and I converted cm to meters then divide the P(101300 Pa) by A(1.13) meters, and webassign told me to go fish.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, just not sure what.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. Try using kPa or keeping the area value in sq. cm. That might work.

Hmm well I did make one stupid mistake when solving for F, F= P*A. Although I still can't seem it get it right. I'm sure its something to do with units, I have been having huge problems getting the units right lately, sometimes they just don't make sense.

It wants the answer in N. So I would assume I have to convert cm to m since N is in meters. But I'm just not having any luck today with this question, the silly thing is this is the first question and I have answer most of the harder ones already, just can't get this one.

still need help..

1 m = 100 cm
[tex] (1\ m)^2 = (100\ cm)^2[/tex]
[tex]1\ m^2= 1X10^{4}\ cm^2[/tex]
[tex] 113\ cm^2= \frac{113}{10^4} = 0.0113\ m^2[/tex]
[tex]F=P*A=1.013X10^5*0.0113=1145\ N[/tex]

What is force of air on my head?

Force of air on your head refers to the pressure exerted by the air molecules in the atmosphere on the surface of your head. This pressure is caused by the weight of the air above your head and is known as atmospheric pressure.

How does the force of air on my head affect me?

The force of air on your head can affect you in several ways. It helps regulate your body temperature by transferring heat away from your head, it allows you to breathe by providing the necessary oxygen, and it also helps protect your head from external impacts.

What factors can influence the force of air on my head?

The force of air on your head can be influenced by several factors such as altitude, temperature, and humidity. As you increase in altitude, the force of air decreases due to the decrease in air density. Higher temperatures also lead to a decrease in air density, resulting in a lower force of air. Humidity can also affect air density, with higher humidity leading to a decrease in air density.

How is the force of air on my head measured?

The force of air on your head is measured using a barometer, which measures atmospheric pressure in units of millibars (mb) or inches of mercury (inHg). The standard atmospheric pressure at sea level is 1013.25 mb or 29.92 inHg.

Can the force of air on my head be dangerous?

The force of air on your head can become dangerous in extreme conditions, such as during a hurricane or tornado, where the force of air can cause damage to structures and lead to serious injuries. In day-to-day life, the force of air on your head is not typically dangerous unless you are exposed to very high altitudes without proper acclimatization.