Pressure of stacked bricks question

• Thread starter Sabres151
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the stack of lead bricks measures 2.00m by 3.00m by 4.00m, with a total volume of 24m^3. Using the mass density of lead (11,340kg/m^3), the mass of the bricks is calculated to be 272,160kg. To find the maximum and minimum possible pressures on the floor under the bricks, the weight of the stack needs to be determined using the mass. The pressure will vary depending on which face of the rectangle is in contact with the floor.
Sabres151
I'm having difficulty with the part b.

Question: A stack of lead bricks measures 2.00m by 3.00m by 4.00m
a) Find the mass of the bricks.
b) Find the maximum and minimum possible pressures on the floor under the bricks in Pa and atm.

a)
A = 2m(3m)(4m)
A = 24m^3
mass = V(D)
Weight Density of lead = 11,340 kg/m^3
m = 24m^3(11,340 kg/m^3)
m = 272,160 kg.

b)...I'm thrown off by figuring minimum and maximum. Do I start with
P = F/A ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Sabres151 said:
I'm having difficulty with the part b.

Question: A stack of lead bricks measures 2.00m by 3.00m by 4.00m
a) Find the mass of the bricks.
b) Find the maximum and minimum possible pressures on the floor under the bricks in Pa and atm.

a)
A = 2m(3m)(4m)
A = 24m^3
mass = V(D)
Weight Density of lead = 11,340 kg/m^3
m = 24m^3(11,340 kg/m^3)
m = 272,160 kg.

b)...I'm thrown off by figuring minimum and maximum. Do I start with
P = F/A ??
By A I think you mean V (volume). The units for your density suggest that is mass density, not weight density. If so, there has to be a g in your calculations. I don't see an area calculation in your work, bu tyou need area to find pressure. The stack has the same wight no matter how you arrange the bricks. The maximum pressure will be with the smallest area in contact with the floor, and the minuimum pressure will be with the greatest area in contact with the floor.

OlderDan said:
By A I think you mean V (volume). The units for your density suggest that is mass density, not weight density. If so, there has to be a g in your calculations. I don't see an area calculation in your work, bu tyou need area to find pressure. The stack has the same wight no matter how you arrange the bricks. The maximum pressure will be with the smallest area in contact with the floor, and the minuimum pressure will be with the greatest area in contact with the floor.

Dan, thank you for the response. Yes, you are correct, by A, I should have V. And...should the calculation for the mass of the bricks be using weight density rather than mass density? I used mass density...

Sabres151 said:
Dan, thank you for the response. Yes, you are correct, by A, I should have V. And...should the calculation for the mass of the bricks be using weight density rather than mass density? I used mass density...
You need the weight of the stack of bricks to find the pressure. The pressure would be different on the moon than it is on earth. It is easy to get the weight from the total mass, so you have all the information you need.

OlderDan said:
You need the weight of the stack of bricks to find the pressure. The pressure would be different on the moon than it is on earth. It is easy to get the weight from the total mass, so you have all the information you need.

Ok, now I'm really lost. For Area, I have 24 meters cubed. To find the mass of the bricks I was using the Mass Density of lead (11,340kg/m^3).
Since m = V x D I have a mass of 272,160kg.

Sabres151 said:
Ok, now I'm really lost. For Area, I have 24 meters cubed. To find the mass of the bricks I was using the Mass Density of lead (11,340kg/m^3).
Since m = V x D I have a mass of 272,160kg.
24meters cubed is the volume, and that is what you need to find the mass. How do you find the weight when you know the mass? The stack of bricks is in the shape of a rectange. Each face of the rectangle has an area. Any one of the faces could be on the bottom. The pressure is the weight divided by the area.

1. What is the "pressure of stacked bricks question"?

The pressure of stacked bricks question is a common physics problem that involves calculating the amount of force or pressure exerted by a stack of bricks on the surface below.

2. How is the pressure of stacked bricks calculated?

The pressure of stacked bricks is calculated by dividing the total weight of the bricks by the area of the surface they are stacked on. This gives the amount of force per unit area, or pressure, exerted by the bricks.

3. What factors affect the pressure of stacked bricks?

The pressure of stacked bricks can be affected by the weight and size of the bricks, as well as the surface area they are stacked on. Other factors such as the height and stability of the stack can also impact the pressure.

4. How is the pressure of stacked bricks important in real-life situations?

Understanding the pressure of stacked bricks is important in construction and engineering, as it helps determine the strength and stability of structures. It can also be useful in everyday situations, such as stacking items on shelves or packing items in a suitcase.

5. Can the pressure of stacked bricks be altered?

Yes, the pressure of stacked bricks can be altered by changing the weight of the bricks, the surface area they are stacked on, or the height and stability of the stack. However, the pressure can also be affected by external factors such as the strength of the surface or the presence of other objects supporting the stack.