1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure question

1. Mar 3, 2008 #1
    When baking soda is heated it decomposes according to the following reaction:
    2 NaHCO3 (s) -> Na2CO3 (s) + H2) (g) + CO2 (g)

If sufficient baking soda is placed in a container and heated to 90 degrees Celsius, the total pressure of the gases is .5451 atm. What is the value of Kp at that temperature.

So the professor shows the work Kp=[P H2O][P CO2]
    this much I agree with.

But then the next step he shows
    PH2O=PCO2= .5451/2=.2726
    Kp=(.2728)^2=.07428

Is this actually correct. I don't see how you can "assume" the partial pressures are equal to one another. Or can you? I mean why can't the partial pressure of water at that temperature be something like say .3 & CO2 be .2451?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2008 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your professor is assuming that H2O and CO2 are behaving as ideal gases. The pressure of an ideal gas for a given temperature and pressure depends only on the amount of the gas (the number of moles). Since an equal number of moles of H2O and CO2 are produced when NaHCO3 decomposes, their partial pressures are the same. Does this make sense?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?