Solving Pressure: P = 7.35N / (.24m x .2m)

• Thread starter jefgreen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the formula for pressure is P = force / area, where P represents the pressure, force is the amount of force applied, and area is the surface area over which the force is applied. To solve for pressure, you need to know the force and area and plug them into the formula. The units of measurement for pressure are typically Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m²). Pressure can be negative, also known as tension, when a force is pulling or stretching on a surface. Pressure is directly proportional to force and inversely proportional to area, meaning that as force increases, pressure increases and as area increases, pressure decreases.
jefgreen
1. Relevant equations

P=F/A

2. The attempt at a solution

P= 7.35 N
-------------
(.24m)(.2m)

Answer= 150.0 PA. <-- That is the correct answer which my instructor gave me. Although, whenever I plus this into my calculator I wind up with 6.125 or 6.16666... (when rounding 7.35 N to 7.4 N). What am I doing wrong? :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
bump 10 char

You're inputting the numbers into your calculator wrong. Do it one step at a time and mind your parentheses!

@RoyalCat: How should plug them in?

bump 10 char

somehow you're doing 7.4 divided by .24 divided by .2 so that the .2 comes out on top …

7.4*0.2/0.24 = 6.1666

What is the formula for pressure?

The formula for pressure is P = force / area. In this case, the given formula is P = 7.35N / (.24m x .2m). This represents the pressure exerted on a surface by a force of 7.35 Newtons over an area of .24 meters by .2 meters.

How do I solve for pressure?

To solve for pressure, you need to know the force applied and the area over which it is applied. Then, you can use the formula P = force / area to calculate the pressure.

What are the units of measurement for pressure?

Pressure is typically measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m²). In this formula, the units for pressure would be N/m².

Can pressure be negative?

Yes, pressure can be negative. Negative pressure, also known as tension, occurs when a force is pulling or stretching on a surface instead of pushing on it.

How is pressure related to force and area?

Pressure is directly proportional to force and inversely proportional to area. This means that as the force applied increases, the pressure also increases. Similarly, as the area over which the force is applied increases, the pressure decreases.