Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure Regulator Basics

1. Nov 19, 2015 #1
    Hi folks,

Firstly a little background, I work for a company that manufactures gas pressure regulators. Last year I was a machinist studying for my HNC in manufacturing engineering. Since passing work has given me the opportunity to work in the product engineering office as a product tester and work load within the office has increased lately due to expansion, I have been tasked with analysing a certain feature of the new product range.

I need to model the effects of the below orifice (in red), but I have no idea what I'm doing!!!

Are there any basic math techniques I can use to get a better understanding of what is happening at this feature?

RSHN8-02-11-VVK-GN5 - Closer2.jpg

Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2015 #2
    Is the inlet on the left (supply side) and the regulated side on the right? If so, it looks like this orifice puts regulated pressure under the diaphragm.

4. Jan 2, 2016 #3
    Thanks for the reply Insightful, yes the inlet is to the right of the image. The orifice does indeed connect the regulated pressure to the upper chamber, what it also does is create a vacuum.

All my research is telling me that this is a Venturi, I'm not sure this is the case. Is there any way to prove/disprove this? What equations would I need?

Many thanks

5. Jan 2, 2016 #4

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

Don't you have the engineers who designed it nearby?

6. Jan 3, 2016 #5
    I'm afraid not, they're all in Holland. The company I work for purchased the product range, little information regarding the design came with it.

I have been told that this feature was designed through product testing ie. flow rigs.

7. Jan 3, 2016 #6

Attached Files:

8. Jan 3, 2016 #7
    That's magic, thank you so much. Funnily enough I was looking at it with a pitot in mind. I always thought that the process media has to enter directly into the tube rather than flow over it, hence my dismissal of the theory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook