Understanding Pressure Regulators for Gas Cylinders | Expert Help

In summary, the conversation discusses the function of pressure regulators connected to gas cylinders and clarifies that most regulators provide a constant outlet pressure based on the inlet pressure and the desired outlet pressure. It is also noted that the outlet pressure can vary depending on the quality of the regulator and the type of gas being regulated. The final question asks about the outlet pressure of a specific regulator, which is clarified to be 1-3 bar gauge, or 14-44 psig, depending on the setting.
sgvaibhav
Hi,

I wanted to know if pressure regulators connected to gas cylinders provide constant outlet pressure, or provide constant pressure drop.

Example of the regulator that might be used is this.

http://secure.emiratesgas.com/eCom/details.asp?ProductID=ART01661_PR

For instance, I have a gas cylinder having a pressure of 30 bar.
I connect this regulator to the cylinder, and set the regulator to 2 bar.

So will the outlet pressure, coming out from the regulator be 28 bar, or will it be 2 bar?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Most regulators provide a constant outlet pressure of whatever you set it to so long as the inlet pressure is higher than your prescribed outlet pressure. The regulator you linked to is of this type.

The latter. If your regulator is rated for 30 bar inlet pressure and .5-2 bar outlet pressure then you will be able to set the outlet pressure to between .5 and 2 bar when you hook up your 30 bar gas cylinder.

The regulation from most "regulators" comes from pressure drop across an orifice, but the valves themselves function by maintaining constant downstream pressure, not by maintaining constant pressure drop. The flow area in the valve will change based on the pressure setting so that enough flow will pass through the regulator as is required to drop the pressure from 30 bar to 2 bar.

It really depends on the quality of regulator along with the soft parts being suitable for the type of gas you are regulating. (If for a prolonged period.) wether its a constant .5-2 bar set point also depends on what the regulator is feeding into?

Hi,
Trying not to bump the thread, but this is the best place to ask.

Consider this regulator

http://www.newgaz.com/Products/Cat/International_catalogue_2012_BD_P.pdf
Search "002810AC".

Over there it shows outlet pressure 1-3 bar (14-44 psig).
So this 3 bar represents 3 bar gage pressure to atmosphere? i.e 4 bar absolute?

Or it represents 3 bar absolute itself?

1-3 bar.

14-44 psig translates to 1-3 bar gauge (above atmospheric).

That is to say, at 1 bar on your regulator, the outlet is at roughly 29 psi absolute (14.5 psig). At 3 bar gauge you are at about 58 psia (43.5 psig).

I'd say that in most cases, pressures in piping systems and equipment are talked about in gauge, unless otherwised noted.

What is a pressure regulator and what does it do?

A pressure regulator is a device used to control and maintain a constant pressure in a system. It reduces high pressure to a lower, more manageable level, ensuring safe and efficient operation of equipment.

How does a pressure regulator work?

A pressure regulator works by using a spring-loaded valve to regulate the flow of gas or liquid into a system. When the pressure exceeds the set point, the valve opens, allowing some of the fluid to escape and lower the pressure. When the pressure drops below the set point, the valve closes to maintain a constant pressure.

What are the different types of pressure regulators?

There are two main types of pressure regulators: single-stage and two-stage. Single-stage regulators provide a fixed pressure output and are commonly used for household appliances. Two-stage regulators have two chambers and can provide a more precise and stable pressure output, making them suitable for industrial and commercial applications.

How do I select the right pressure regulator for my system?

To select the right pressure regulator, you need to consider the type of fluid, the maximum and minimum pressure requirements, the flow rate, and the operating temperature. It is also important to ensure that the regulator is compatible with the system and meets all safety and regulatory standards.

What are some common problems with pressure regulators and how can I troubleshoot them?

Common problems with pressure regulators include leaks, fluctuating pressure, and failure to maintain a constant pressure. These issues can be caused by worn or damaged parts, incorrect installation, or incorrect sizing. To troubleshoot these problems, you should check for any visible damage, ensure proper installation, and refer to the manufacturer's guidelines for sizing and maintenance.