1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure/standing waves

1. Oct 12, 2006 #1
    Hi there

Could someone please help with these questions.

A helmholtz resonator has a resonant freq. of 100Hz. draw graphs showing how the pressure and displacement of the air in the neck vary with time. how would these be different at the position of a listener some distance away...

i can draw the graphs but I'm unsure of the part about the listener being some distance away...??

and the 2nd one is ....explain how a standing wave can be formed by travelling waves, and hence how the frequencies of standing waves on a stretched string are related to the speed at which waves travel along the string?

all i know is that waves would be travelling in opposite directions..canceliing out..? is this even right?...any help much appreciaited

Thanks
    physics_06er

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

-1- The resonator will have a partial standing wave in it (partial because some of the sound energy has to get out the open end to propagate to the listener.

-2- What is the equation for a travelling wave? What do you get if you combine a left-travelling wave and a right-travelling wave? Also, what is the relationship between the velocity of propagation of a wave on a string, in comparison to the tension of the string and the linear mass density of the string?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?