1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure system

1. Jan 19, 2006 #1
    I'm trying to remember how to calculate the equlibrium height of a system of 2 cylinders connected by a tube at the bottom with the smaller cylinder open to the atmosphere and 702.9N pressing down on the other side.

I believe it has to do with the pressure being equal on both sides or potential energy being equal, its been a while since I did these, can anyine refresh my memory? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2006 #2
    Not 100%

For U tube, with 1 end open to atmosphere, the unknown P(kPa)=density (1 for water) * gravity (9.8) * delta Heighth (meters).

I think you would need the diameter of the cylinder with the wieght on it to calculate the pressure on that side. The other side would rise up until the delta H is equal to the pressure in the cylinder.
  4. Jan 19, 2006 #3
    thanks for your help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?