1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure-temperature question

1. Jan 15, 2010 #1
    Hello guys!

Can someone explain me the answer of that question ?

1 litre of oxygen has temperature of 0 Celsius. What happens to the volume if the temperature is raised to 275 Celsius, keeping the pressure constant?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2010 #2

Gold Member

Well if you use ideal gas law P*V=n*R*T, Keep in mind that the are same number of moles so n is constant, R is constant, thus P*V = constant = Temperature

Same applies for same instance when temperature is raised to 275 deg C: Pressure2*Volume2 = constant = Temperature2

So with some rearranging, P1*V1/T1 = n*R = P2*V2/T2, keeping pressure constant (0 C = 273 Kelvin, 275 C = 548 Kelvin) :

V1/T1 = V2/T2

V2 = V1*T2/T1 = 1 Liter*548/273 = 2 Liters

The volume doubles
  4. Jan 15, 2010 #3
    First thank you very much for the quick reply but I couldn't understand what you mean by :

Same applies for same instance when temperature is raised to 275 deg C: Pressure2*Volume2 = constant = Temperature2

why you do " pressure2* " , it means "to square" ?
  5. Jan 15, 2010 #4

Gold Member

Increasing the temperature does not change the number of moles or the ideal gas constant R. You simple have all these little gas balls bouncing around the container they are enclosed in increasing the pressure when you increase temperature. The higher the temperature the more bouncing is going on, generally speaking. So you can assume these things are constant. Pressure*Volume when temperature is 0 deg C is one instance and when temperature is 275 deg C it is (Pressure #2) * (Volume #2) that is constant

No Pressure2 means Pressure when the temperature is 275 deg C. It is a different pressure than when the temperature is 0 deg C. However for this problem this is not even important because pressure is constant (Meaning Pressure1 = Pressure2), so you can just simplify the ideal gas law to Charles Law. I would rather learn how to think critically than learn 3 different laws. Instead you just learn the Ideal Gas Law and how to apply it.

And for future reference pressure squared is written as pressure^2
  6. Jan 16, 2010 #5
    Oh ok * now it's all clear!

Thank you for your kind answer!
  7. Jan 16, 2010 #6
    And also 1 small thing : why did you convert the temperature to Kelvin instead of solving by Celsius? Is it a rule?

Because it's the point that I couldn't solve the problem.
    Thanks in advance ...
  8. Jan 16, 2010 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the ideal gas law, T is the absolute temperature. Celsius is not an absolute temperature scale.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook