1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure to freeze ice

1. Feb 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    **This thread could also belong to the chemistry forum**
    *This isn't an actual homework problem, but it is a simple question, so I put it here in the homework forum. I am under the impression that the physics forum is for more advanced questions*
    How deep would an ocean on earth have to be for ice VII to form? It forms under 3 GPa of pressure at room temperature (20 C).

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am only asking this question because I am curious how the Mariana Trench compares. At the bottom of the Mariana Trench, the pressure is 110 MPa. ## \frac {3} {t} = \frac{3GPa}{110MPa} ## = 27.27. So the Mariana Trench needs to be 27 times deeper. Is this correct (if the temperature is assumed to be a constant ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Give or take corrections for compressibility of sea water, looks good enough. Depth of Mariana Trench isn't a particularly standard unit of length, so you might consider turning that into meters or kilometers, but that's nitpicking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted