What pressure is needed to maintain flow when the pipe diameter is halved?

In summary, the question is about the relationship between pressure, flow rate, and pipe diameter. When the diameter is halved, the friction factor and Reynolds number change, affecting the pressure drop and velocity. Ignoring friction leads to a pressure drop of 0, which is not appropriate. The question is whether the pressure or flow rate should be maintained when the diameter is halved.
physea
Hello!

You apply a pressure to a pipe to maintain a specific flow.

If the pipe diameter becomes half, how much pressure you need to apply to maintain the flow?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
How does the friction factor changes?
Also, what if we ignore friction?

For half the diameter at the same flow the speed quadruples (assuming pipe is filled with the fluid under consideration), so the Reynolds number quadruples too. That has an effect on the friction factor (see link). If you ignore that, you still have (see second link) a factor ##v^2/D = 32## increase in pressure drop over the pipe.

(Did you look at the links I gave? Understand them ?)

Ignoring friction/viscous effects altogether leads to ##\Delta p=0## which isn't appropriate, I would guess.

So, as I expected, the velocity will increase and the pressure will drop inside the thinner tube.

The question is:
- if we maintain the pressure at the beginning of the tube, what will happen to the flow rate?
- similarly, if we maintain the flow rate, how should we adjust the pressure at the beginning of the tube?

BvU said:
(Did you look at the links I gave? Understand them ?)
There must be something that isn't clear to you is my impression when I read your post #5.

1. What is "pressure to maintain flow"?

The pressure to maintain flow refers to the force or energy required to keep a fluid moving through a system or structure at a constant rate. This can be seen in various systems, such as pipelines, blood vessels, and air ducts.

2. How does pressure affect flow?

Pressure is directly proportional to flow, meaning that an increase in pressure will result in an increase in flow rate. This is known as Bernoulli's principle, which states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases, and vice versa.

3. What factors influence the pressure to maintain flow?

Several factors can affect the pressure to maintain flow, including the viscosity of the fluid, the diameter of the pipe or vessel, and the length of the system. Other factors include external forces, such as gravity, and any obstructions or changes in direction within the system.

4. How is pressure to maintain flow measured?

The pressure to maintain flow is typically measured using a pressure gauge, which can be either mechanical or electronic. The unit of measurement for pressure is typically pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

5. How is pressure to maintain flow controlled?

Pressure to maintain flow can be controlled by adjusting the variables that affect it, such as the flow rate, viscosity, or pipe diameter. In some cases, devices such as valves or pumps may be used to regulate the pressure and maintain a constant flow rate.