1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure vs. Volume graph help!

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Look at the PV diagram of a system above. The units for P and V are atmospheric pressure atm and liter L. Process A to B and B to C are straight lines on it.
    How much is the work done by the system from A to C in J?

https://tycho-s.physics.wisc.edu/cg...?courses/phys103/fall08/homework/12/pv/pv.gif

HELP: In general, the work done in an expansion from some initial state to some final state is the area under the curve on a PV diagram. So determine the area under the ABC-curve.

HELP: Each square on the diagram has an area of: 1.5 atm * 1 L = 1.5 atm L = 152 J. Estimate the numbers of squares below the ABC-curve and multiply that number by 152 J. Good luck

3. The attempt at a solution

Wab= pressure x change in volume= 303975 Pa(.004meters cubed)= 1215.9
    Wbc= pressure x change in volume= 607950 Pa(.006 meters cubed)= 3647.7

W= Wab +Wbc

but this is not correct. Can anyone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2
    I did what you said, i.e. counted the squares under the curve and multiplied that number by 152, but I do not get the same answer as you. Try dividing the area into two rectangles and two triangles and calculate those four areas separately. Use the formula for the area of a triangle rather than guessing how many squares make up the triangle. Hope that helps.

4. Nov 24, 2008 #3
    thanks! that worked.

I got the Area of the triangles to be 4 and 3 and the area of the rectangles to be 8 and 18. multiplied by 152 and got an answer of 5020 J.

thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?