Comparing the Heights of Water and Gasoline Columns in an Open U-Tube

• Thread starter CherryXBOMB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, the problem discusses an open U-tube filled with water and gasoline, where the pressure of the water column is balanced by the pressure of the gasoline column. The question asks whether the height of the gasoline column will be higher, lower, or the same as the water column, and why. The solution is that the gasoline column will have a higher height due to the difference in density between water and gasoline. The equation to determine the balance is F=PA, where P is the density of the liquid and A is the cross-sectional area of the column.
CherryXBOMB

Homework Statement

In an open U-tube, the pressure of a water column on one side is balanced by the pressure of a column of gasoline on the other side. (a) Compared to the height of the water column, the gasoline column will have (1) a higher, (2) a lower, or (3) the same height. Why? (b) If the height of the water column is 15 cm, what is the height of the gasoline column? [College Physics – Wilson, Buffa, Lou]

Homework Equations

I guess p=force/area?
or maybe not?
maybe

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not even sure what this problem is asking...I can't picture the picture that they're trying to depict. If someone could just point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful. Not looking for easy answers, I just don't have a clue what they're asking for really...
Edit:
rereading the problem My guess is that the answer to A) is that gasoline will have a higher column. To be applying the same amount of pressure their forces have to be the same and the density of water is greater (1x10^3) than gasoline (726 kg)? So just assuming you'd need more to get a greater force to equalize the pressures?

Physics news on Phys.org
They've got a U shaped tube and put water in one side and gasoline in the other side.
Your equation is correct - the force is provided by gravity... since the two liquids are different densities, what does this mean about the amount of each needed for the balance?

What is the difference between pressure-water and gas?

Pressure-water refers to water that is under pressure, such as in a water main or a pressurized water system. Gas, on the other hand, refers to any substance that is in a gaseous state at room temperature and atmospheric pressure. The main difference between the two is their physical state and properties.

Which one is more compressible, pressure-water or gas?

Gas is more compressible than pressure-water. This is because the molecules in a gas are more spread out and have more space to move around, making it easier to compress them. In contrast, the molecules in pressure-water are already tightly packed and do not have much room to move, making it more difficult to compress.

Can pressure-water be converted into gas?

Yes, pressure-water can be converted into gas through a process called vaporization. This occurs when the pressure on the water is reduced, causing it to boil and turn into a gas. This process is commonly used in power plants to create steam to power turbines.

Which one exerts more pressure, pressure-water or gas?

It depends on the specific circumstances. In general, gas exerts more pressure than pressure-water. This is because gas molecules are constantly moving and colliding with the walls of their container, creating pressure. Pressure-water, on the other hand, exerts pressure due to its weight and gravity.

What are some common uses of pressure-water and gas?

Pressure-water is commonly used for cleaning, irrigation, and as a source of drinking water. Gas, on the other hand, has a wide range of uses including heating, cooking, transportation, and as a source of energy for power plants. Some gases, such as oxygen and nitrogen, are also used in medical and industrial settings.