Optimizing Intake Design: Pressure Wave Tuning for Improved Engine Performance

In summary, the conversation revolves around designing a custom intake for an 8 cylinder IC engine. The goal is to tune the pressure wave in the intake port to arrive at the intake valve at a predetermined moment, in order to improve volumetric efficiency. However, developing a formula for predicting the frequency of the positive pressure wave has proven to be challenging. The individual seeking help has 15 books on ICE but most of them only provide formulas for four cylinders and are not very helpful. They are looking for a more reliable and efficient method, possibly through the use of a dyno and flowbenches, but a good starting point would be helpful. The suggestion is made to look into the book "Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice"
USMC8541
I need some help.

I would like to design a custom intake for a 8 cylinder IC engine.

some back ground information.

All cylinders are fed by a length of pipe with a tapering crossectional area (intake port). All 8 intake ports are connected to a common plenum.

What I am trying to accomplish is to tune the pressure wave in the intake port to arrive at the intake valve at a pre determined moment. The reasoning is if the + pressure wave arrives at the valve just before the valve closes the momentum of the air will continue to flow into the cylinder aiding in volumetric efficiency.

I am having a rough time developling an equation or method using crossectional area, varing crossectional areas, pipe length, and plenum volume to accurately predict the frequency of the + positive pressure wave.

If I haven't given enough background information let me know or ask me what you need to know and I can go more indepth.

Todd

Physics news on Phys.org
I am having a rough time developling an equation or method using crossectional area, varing crossectional areas, pipe length, and plenum volume to accurately predict the frequency of the + positive pressure wave.
Many people have had a hard time developing such a formula. Most often, ram tuning is done experimentally with a good machine shop and a dyno.

The formulas that do exist can be found in a book like "Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice: (2 volumes) by Charles Fayette Taylor. Look for it at Amazon or other bookseller.

Thanks Krab for you reply.

I have about 15 ICE books. But if you notice they copy someone elses work majority are repeats of each other with slightly different spins on them. The formulas in the books are for four cylinders only. They don't tell you that in the books. I had to do some research to find out what size engine it was for.

I know you could do it with a dyno and flowbenches and so on but it would be a lot easier, cheaper and faster if I a had reasonable starting point.

Todd

I have about 15 ICE books

There are lots and lots of books on the ICE. The vast majority have little or no physics in them, and as you note, they copy each other's formulas, and I'm guessing the authors don't really understand them. The book by Taylor is totally different; it is the only Academic book on ICE's I've run across. Look it up. It really is worthwhile.

1. What is the purpose of optimizing intake design for engine performance?

The purpose of optimizing intake design is to improve the efficiency and power output of an engine. By tuning the intake system to match pressure waves, air can be delivered to the combustion chamber more effectively, resulting in better fuel combustion and increased performance.

2. How does pressure wave tuning benefit engine performance?

Pressure wave tuning helps to create a more efficient and powerful engine by utilizing the natural properties of sound waves. By timing the intake valve opening and closing with the pressure waves, air can be compressed and delivered to the combustion chamber at the optimal moment, resulting in improved fuel combustion and greater engine power.

3. What factors are involved in optimizing intake design for pressure wave tuning?

There are several factors that need to be considered when optimizing intake design for pressure wave tuning. These include the engine's RPM range, valve timing, intake runner length, and air intake diameter. All of these factors play a role in determining the optimal timing and delivery of air to the engine.

4. Can pressure wave tuning be applied to all types of engines?

Yes, pressure wave tuning can be applied to a wide range of engines, including both gasoline and diesel engines. However, the specific tuning and design may vary depending on the engine type and its unique characteristics.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to optimizing intake design for pressure wave tuning?

While optimizing intake design can greatly improve engine performance, there are some potential drawbacks to consider. These include increased noise levels and potential damage to the engine if the tuning is not done correctly. It is important to consult with a professional and carefully consider all factors before making any changes to the intake design for pressure wave tuning.