1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Pressure wave vs. Shock wave in solid body

1. Jan 22, 2017 #1
    Hi everyone,

I'm having some difficulty comprehending "normal" transmission of stress/strain through a solid body and "shock" transmission of stress/strain.

Imagine I have two bodies, one rigid - the other elastic.

If the rigid body is fixed in space, and the elastic body is flying at the rigid body with velocity V

At what speed does the pressure wave transmit backward through the elastic body upon impact with the rigid plate? Does this happen at the speed of sound in the medium (i.e. C = sqrt(K/row)). What if V >> C?
    or V == C?

Finally, from what I have read, the "shock wave" comes from the increase in speed of sound through the medium with increasing pressure (density?) - and so if the elastic body exhibits plasticity & is crushed as it impacts the rigid plate - do the "normal waves" at initial impact get caught up with by "normal waves" of the compressed region a few milliseconds later, to form a shock?

I could be completely off base, i'm just trying to visualize the transmission of pressure/stress/strain through the solid body under impact.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2017 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted