1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressureizing and liquid

1. Jun 28, 2004 #1
    im wondering in theory couldnt you put so much presure on a gas that the molocules couldnt move therefore creating a liquid or a solid ( i realize this would take alot of pressure) but would it result in a liquid or no??

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course, this happens all the time. Just look at a phase diagram for a substance, like water:

http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/phase.html

If you increase the pressure on water vapor while maintaining its temperature, it'll turn first into water, then into ice.

- Warren

4. Jun 30, 2004 #3

turin

Homework Helper

If I have liquid nitrogen contained in an extremely strong sealed container at room temperature, should I assume that the pressure is right at the boundary between liquid and solid nitrogen? If this is not the case, then how do I determine the pressure (quasi-theoretically)?

phase: liquid (i.e. density >> N2 gas at rm. temp.)
    temperature: 300 K
    pressure: ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?