Can Extreme Pressure Turn Gases into Liquids or Solids?

• Thread starter toochaos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Liquid
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a liquid or solid by putting enough pressure on a gas, using water as an example. It is then questioned how to determine the pressure at which this would occur.
toochaos
im wondering in theory couldn't you put so much presure on a gas that the molocules couldn't move therefore creating a liquid or a solid ( i realize this would take a lot of pressure) but would it result in a liquid or no??

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course, this happens all the time. Just look at a phase diagram for a substance, like water:

http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/phase.html

If you increase the pressure on water vapor while maintaining its temperature, it'll turn first into water, then into ice.

- Warren

If I have liquid nitrogen contained in an extremely strong sealed container at room temperature, should I assume that the pressure is right at the boundary between liquid and solid nitrogen? If this is not the case, then how do I determine the pressure (quasi-theoretically)?

phase: liquid (i.e. density >> N2 gas at rm. temp.)
temperature: 300 K
pressure: ?

1. What is pressureizing and liquid?

Pressureizing refers to the process of increasing the pressure of a gas or liquid in a container. Liquid, on the other hand, is a state of matter that has a fixed volume but takes the shape of its container.

2. How is pressureizing and liquid used in scientific experiments?

Pressureizing and liquid are commonly used in various scientific experiments, such as in chemistry and physics, to study the behavior of gases and liquids under different pressures. This can help scientists understand how these substances react and interact with each other.

3. What happens to a liquid when it is pressureized?

When a liquid is pressureized, its molecules are forced closer together, leading to an increase in density and a decrease in volume. This can also affect the boiling and freezing points of the liquid.

4. What are the dangers of handling pressureized liquids?

Pressureized liquids can be dangerous if not handled properly. The high pressure can cause containers to rupture or explode, leading to potential injuries. Some liquids may also be toxic or corrosive, further increasing the risk.

5. How do scientists measure pressureized liquids?

Scientists use specialized instruments, such as pressure gauges, to measure the pressure of liquids. They may also use other techniques, such as manometers or barometers, to determine the pressure of a liquid in a closed container.