Pressures on a tube filled with water

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of vacuum pressure on the water level in a vertical tube that is partially filled with water. The question asks whether the water level will rise due to atmospheric pressure or remain the same due to the downward pressure of the water. The equation mentioned is related to the amount of suction force needed to raise water to a certain height. The conversation also considers the impact of a low vacuum pressure on the water level.
Idea04

Homework Statement

I'm stuck on a problem. If you have a 1'' diameter tube running vertically about 7 feet in the air and 5 feet of the tube was full of water. And at the top of the tube was closed off. And the 2 feet above the water had a vacuum pressure of negative 1 psi.(I don't know vacuum measurements so I put it as a negative psi) Would the water rise upward to the vacuum area. or because the water would have a downward pressure of 3 psi would the water level remain the same.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm just wondering because I know if you want to rise water around 34 feet in the air you would have to have a suction force of around 14 psi. Then the water pressure equals the atmospheric pressure. But if you have let's say a bowl of water with a 7 foot pipe running vertically and if the water in the pipe is at 5 feet. It would have a downward force of 3 psi. Now if you had a low vacuum in the pipe, less than 3 psi worth. Would the water rise because of the atmosperic pressure pushing the water upward. Or would the vacuum force be too weak to affect the water.

Does anyone know the answer to my question.

1. What causes pressure on a tube filled with water?

Pressure on a tube filled with water is caused by the weight of the water pushing down on the bottom of the tube. This is known as hydrostatic pressure.

2. How does the pressure change as the water level in the tube increases?

As the water level in the tube increases, the pressure also increases. This is because there is more water pushing down on the bottom of the tube, resulting in a greater hydrostatic pressure.

3. What factors affect the pressure on a tube filled with water?

The pressure on a tube filled with water is affected by the height of the water column, the density of the water, and the acceleration due to gravity. Additionally, the shape and size of the tube can also impact the pressure.

4. Can pressure on a tube filled with water be measured?

Yes, pressure on a tube filled with water can be measured using a pressure gauge. The gauge will display the amount of pressure in units such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

5. How does temperature affect the pressure on a tube filled with water?

Temperature can affect the pressure on a tube filled with water. As water warms up, it expands and becomes less dense, resulting in a decrease in pressure. On the other hand, as water cools, it contracts and becomes more dense, leading to an increase in pressure.