Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressurising oil without flow

1. May 3, 2015 #1
    Hello,
    I am trying to design a hydro penumatic circuit. I have shop air at 80 Psi. I need hydraulic pressure of 160 PSI. So I am using pressure booster/Intensifier to pressurise it. there will be air on one side of intensifier and oil on other side of it. my question is if I block path of oil will there be increase in pressure?

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2015 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Welcome to PF.

It will depend on what type of intensifier are you using.
    Please give us a link to the device.

If all you want is pressure with very low flow you might be able to use a hydraulic cylinder with oil on the rod side and air on the piston face. Many cylinders have a rod area that is close to half the piston face area.

4. May 5, 2015 #3
    Thanks for your reply.
    I am using milwaukee pressure booster
    http://www.milwaukeecylinder.com/

5. May 5, 2015 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Yes. The pressure ratio of a booster is fixed by the ratio of cylinder area to rod area. The maximum output pressure will be the input pressure * compression ratio.
    The volume of pressure boosted oil available per cycle is limited to the booster cylinder oil capacity.
    If you do not block the oil path, the booster will push oil through the system until the booster reaches the end of it's travel, without reaching the full boosted pressure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook