What Makes a Prestigious Institution Truly Prestigious?

• Thread starter chound
  • Start date
In summary, prestigious institutions are known for producing the best and brightest students, but the entrance exams are difficult and only the most intelligent are admitted. However, some argue that these institutions are not solely responsible for the success of their students, as many of them would have been successful regardless of where they attended school. The debate continues as to whether the added cost of attending a prestigious institution is worth it for the name and networking opportunities. Ultimately, the decision to attend such an institution is a personal one, driven by the desire to be surrounded by highly intelligent individuals.
chound
"Prestigeous" Institutions

Certain colleges have the distinction of producing the best and brightest students. But these colleges have a hard entrence exam and only the brightest of the lot get into them!
Isnt it ironic that only the brilliant students get into the institution and they come out with the same brilliance and that college is getting credit for nothing.
No one appreciates the colleges who take in the mediocre students and works hard to train them into some profession?:grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
the way you wrote that post says that something has happened to you that involves this topic[/psychic]

It's an importnat message the OP is trying to communicate; the students who come out as very sucessful individuals from these "top" institutions would probably have been sucessful regardless of which school they attended.

I share this view also.. but I never thought about the other side... I guess it's just a very complicated subject and I really have no "solution" or suggestions at the moment.

yomamma said:
the way you wrote that post says that something has happened to you that involves this topic[/psychic]
Not really!

Euphoriet said:
It's an importnat message the OP is trying to communicate; the students who come out as very sucessful individuals from these "top" institutions would probably have been sucessful regardless of which school they attended.
I share this view also.. but I never thought about the other side... I guess it's just a very complicated subject and I really have no "solution" or suggestions at the moment.
I agree with this as well. Many of the students going to those schools would have been successful no matter where they went to school. So, they got a name brand label on their diploma for all the added cost but not any better of an education...who's the smart one now? :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
I agree with this as well. Many of the students going to those schools would have been successful no matter where they went to school. So, they got a name brand label on their diploma for all the added cost but not any better of an education...who's the smart one now? :biggrin:

The one paying extra to get all his letters of recommendation to grad school written by Nobel Laureates?

The biggest reason why I would want to go to such an institution is because of the smart people there, so...

You are absolutely right.. and that's exactly why I'm working hard on getting into a decent school full of "smart people", it's not really for the name (Take Swarthmore for example, full of VERY "smart" people, but not well known outside of the "academic circles").

swarthmore what?

What are prestigious institutions?

Prestigious institutions are universities, colleges, research centers, or organizations that have a high reputation and are recognized for their academic excellence, research contributions, and distinguished faculty.

How are institutions considered prestigious?

Institutions are considered prestigious based on various factors such as their rankings, student and faculty achievements, research output, and global recognition. They often have a long history of academic excellence and a strong reputation in their field of study.

What are the benefits of attending a prestigious institution?

Attending a prestigious institution can provide many benefits, such as access to top-notch faculty, cutting-edge research opportunities, a diverse and talented student body, and strong alumni networks. It can also enhance your resume and increase your chances of getting into competitive graduate programs or securing high-paying jobs.

How can I get into a prestigious institution?

To get into a prestigious institution, you need to have a strong academic record, including high grades and test scores. You should also have a diverse range of extracurricular activities and demonstrate leadership skills. It is also essential to research the specific requirements and application process of each institution you are interested in.

Do prestigious institutions guarantee success?

No, attending a prestigious institution does not guarantee success. While it can provide valuable opportunities and resources, success ultimately depends on an individual's dedication, hard work, and determination. It is essential to choose an institution that aligns with your academic and career goals and to make the most of the opportunities available to you.