1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Presure @ Const Volume Problem

1. May 22, 2006 #1
    A rigid container is filled with a mixture of three gases: A, B and C. The pressure gage reads PT. The container is evacuated and filled with an amount of gas A equal to that in the original mixture. The gage now reads PA. This process is repeated for gases B and C with the pressure gage reading PB and PC respectively. How is PT related to PA, PB, and PC? What assumptions are made?

Assumptions: 1) constant volume, 2) no heat loss, 3)PT>TA,TB,TC
    -these are the assumptions i can think of as of right now. are there any other relevant ones?

As for the question How is PT related to PA, PB, and PC?
    Answer: PT = PA + PB + PC
    - is this the right aswer or it's more complicated than that?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2006 #2

Gold Member

You're final answer would be right with one more assumption: what kind of gas does it need to be?

Also, I think assumption #2 is worded a little wierd. Since the mixed gas is removed and a new source of gas is used to fill the container with A, I don't think it makes sense to say "no heat loss". I think a better way to phrase it would be "constant temperature".
  4. May 22, 2006 #3
    You're right. The "no heat loss" assumption was kind of vague. I should have said that the container is fully insulated so no heat can escape once the it is fully closed.

I don't think i can asume constant temperature since no info in the question giving hint that i can make that assumption.
  5. May 22, 2006 #4
    I think u know that this depends on gases,
    if it's the case of perfect gases, just use PV=nRT
    so cos it's a constant volume & temperature, u'll get:

I wish I was helpful,
  6. May 23, 2006 #5

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would say that PT=PA+PB+PC but it assumes the individual gases in the container are kept at the same temperature as the original mixture.

In the mixture, A occupied only a portion of the volume, as did B and C. So when it is all by itself, A must occupy a larger volume. If A is injected at the same temperature as the original mixture, it will cool as it expands to the larger volume. I am assuming it is warmed to the original temperature of the mixture before PA is read. Ditto for the other gases.

7. May 23, 2006 #6

Gold Member

Don't forget that Dalton's law of partial pressures does not apply to all gases. It applies to ideal gases. In the case of a non-ideal gas the partial pressure does not have the interpretation that it is the pressure that the gas would exert if it alone occupied the entire volume of the container.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?