1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pretty basic but not for me

1. Sep 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So its pretty much just Physics 20 Algebra intro
    my teacher assigned us this stuff and i can do it fine i just don't know what to do with the brackets.

d = ( vi + vf / 2 )t

Solve for t, then vf ( can't find any alt codes for small f with the v )

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i assumed that after you times the t from the one side and move it to the other that the brackets would then be removed, but a classmate told me that the brackets act as its own variable.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

d = t(vi + vf)/2

because you are multiplying 't' by '(vi + vf)/2', you can just divide both sides by ''(vi + vf)/2' to make 't' the subject.

4. Sep 3, 2010 #3

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First of all, I assume that you mean
    d = (vi + vf) / 2 * t,
    [tex]d = \frac{v_i + v_f}{2} t[/tex]
    that is: you first add the velocities and divide by 2 (this is actually just the average velocity), and then multiply by the time t.

So you can first "move the t to the other side", actually what you do is divide both the left and the right hand side of the equation by t:
    d / t = (vi + vf) / 2.

Now you have two options.
    1) "Open up" the brackets,
    (vi + vf) / 2 = vi / 2 + vf / 2​
    2) Multiply through by 2, so you get
    2d/t = (vi + vf)​
    and now you can remove the brackets from the right hand side because they have become useless.

(This is continuing on your work... if you want to do it the fast way, do what rock said).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook