1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pretty Basic Work Problem

1. Oct 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A single force acts on a 3.3 kg particle-like object in such a way that the position of the object as a function of time is given by x = 2.1t - 1.4t2 + 1.7t3, with x in meters and t in seconds. Find the work done on the object by the force from t = 0 to t = 4.8 s.

2. Relevant equations
    Basic work formulas

3. The attempt at a solution
    So i found the distance of the movement by plugging 4.8 for t and got 165.83 m, found the second derivative of the position formula to get the acceleration function, got 46.16m/s/s at 4.8s. I multiplied these quantities as well as the mass to get 25260.6 J. This was obviously wrong

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Are you familiar with the integral formula for calculating the work?

4. Oct 9, 2016 #3
    Yes but I am ignorant as to how that would work with the givens being position and mass

5. Oct 9, 2016 #4
    You have a variable force. How do you find work done if you have a variable force acting on a particle?

EDIT: First, what's the expression for the force acting on the particle?

6. Oct 9, 2016 #5

berkeman

Well then please show them to us and start working with the equations. That will help us a lot in helping you. If you can use LaTeX in your posts of the equations, that would be best. I'll find the link to the PF tutorial on LaTeX equations in a sec...

7. Oct 9, 2016 #6

berkeman

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted