Pretty easy tension problem

• Thread starter toesockshoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation discussed the condition in which a mass attached to a hanging mass must spin for the hanging mass to remain at rest. Using the equations for tension and circular motion, the answer was found to be v = sqrt(Mgr/m). However, due to a lack of information, it was determined that there may be multiple possible answers.
toesockshoe

Homework Statement

A mass m on a frictionless table is attached to a hanging mass M by a cord through a hole in the table; the hole has no frictional effect on the string. Find the condition (the speed of the mass and the radius of its circular motion) with which it must spin for M to remain at rest

Homework Equations

f=ma
a_c=v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

is the answer v=sqrt(Mgr/m)? i feel like you need to separate r and v but I can't find a way to express both variable individually with the givens... i think speed and radius depend on each other so there can be multiple answers. is this correct?

how I solved it:

system m
x components:

Ftension = ma
Ftension = mv^2/r

system M
Fgravity - F tension (cordinate system with y-axis going downard) = ma
a is 0
so Fgravity = FtensionTENSION FORCES NEED TO BE SAME FOR BOTH SYSTEMS

so Fgravity can be rewritted as Mg
so Mg = mv^2/r
and thus v = sqrt(Mgr/m) right?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Dimensional analysis can be used to prove there's not enough information. There's no mass dimension in either of the requested values, so the only use of the given masses is to take the ratio. That leaves you with only an acceleration (g) from which to obtain both a distance and a speed. No chance.

haruspex said:
Dimensional analysis can be used to prove there's not enough information. There's no mass dimension in either of the requested values, so the only use of the given masses is to take the ratio. That leaves you with only an acceleration (g) from which to obtain both a distance and a speed. No chance.
so is the answer i have the best i can do with the given information? i think either r or v would have to be given for me to have separate equations for both r and v... right?

toesockshoe said:
so is the answer i have the best i can do with the given information? i think either r or v would have to be given for me to have separate equations for both r and v... right?
Yes.

1. What is a "pretty easy tension problem"?

A pretty easy tension problem refers to a physics or engineering problem that involves calculating the tension force in a system of objects connected by ropes or cables. These types of problems are often considered easier than more complex tension problems.

2. How do I solve a pretty easy tension problem?

To solve a pretty easy tension problem, you will need to first identify all of the objects connected by ropes or cables and the forces acting on them. Then, use Newton's Second Law to set up equations for each object and solve for the unknown tension force.

3. What is the difference between a pretty easy tension problem and a complex tension problem?

The main difference between a pretty easy tension problem and a complex tension problem is the number of objects and forces involved. Pretty easy tension problems typically involve only a few objects and forces, while complex tension problems may involve multiple objects, varying angles, and other complicating factors.

4. Can I use any equations besides Newton's Second Law to solve a pretty easy tension problem?

In most cases, Newton's Second Law is the best and most straightforward equation to use for solving a pretty easy tension problem. However, in some cases, other equations such as the Work-Energy Theorem may also be applicable.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving pretty easy tension problems?

One helpful tip for solving pretty easy tension problems is to draw a free-body diagram for each object in the system. This will help you visualize and keep track of all the forces acting on each object. Additionally, always double-check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the laws of physics.