Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pretty hard (yet simple) puzzle

1. Feb 22, 2007 #1
    not gonna lie... this thing got me pretty frustrated.

:bugeye: : you're gonna need the picture in the link (print it or copy it on a piece of paper, it's pretty easy to draw.

- The letters A-P are to be arranged in the diagram, with one letter allocated to each point, so that no two consecutive letters are connected by any direct line (i.e: 1-15 pr 7-10).

- F is to the left of, and in the same horizontal line as I, which is above C.

- H and D are both somewhere left of B though not necessarily in the same line.

- P is somewhere higher than J, O somewhere higher than F, H somewhere higher than M and L somewhere higher than E but not necessarily in the same line.

- B is diagonally adjacent to G and A is diagonally adjacent to C.

- N is the greatest distance possible from O.

- L is immediately left of I, G immediately left of K, J immediately left of C and D immediately left of O.

If the positions of the letters E and F add up to 17, can you place each letter in its correct position?

post your solution as 1=X, 2=X, 3=X, etc. how long it took you and what method you used (white font would be cool so that no one accidentally reads the answer)

I got it from this book called "FANTASTIC 500 PUZZLE CHALLENGE."
    It's pretty cool, there's puzzles easy enough for kids or 5 minutes at the "throne" (connect the dots, spot the difference), and there's puzzles so frustrating they make me want to stab my eyes out.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2007 #2
    You'll need to specify the image in a different way, then. For whatever reason, the Brain Teaser forum won't allow people to view attachments :(

4. Feb 22, 2007 #3
    there, fixed it.
  5. Feb 22, 2007 #4
    D1 O2 F3 L4 I5 B6 P7 A8 G9 K10 H11 J12 C13 E14 N15 M16
    I think that this is the answer. (hidden text showing the letter followed by the number indicating its location)
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2007
  6. Feb 24, 2007 #5
    haha yeep that's it. in the book they're rated 1/3 2/3 and 3/3 in level of difficulty. this one was one of the 2/3, i might post one of the 3/3 later on this week if i have some time to kill to draw the diagram. although 2/3's are probably my favorites... some 3/3's just take tooo long, and 1/3 and ridiculously easy.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?