Pretty hard (yet simple) puzzle

• Thread starter moe darklight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard Puzzle
In summary, the conversation is about a difficult puzzle that the person solved using a book called "FANTASTIC 500 PUZZLE CHALLENGE." The puzzle involves placing letters in a diagram according to specific rules, and the person shares their solution. They also mention the difficulty levels of the puzzles in the book.
moe darklight
not going to lie... this thing got me pretty frustrated.

:bugeye: : you're going to need the picture in the link (print it or copy it on a piece of paper, it's pretty easy to draw.

http://aycu37.webshots.com/image/10476/2004406912463755374_rs.jpg
- The letters A-P are to be arranged in the diagram, with one letter allocated to each point, so that no two consecutive letters are connected by any direct line (i.e: 1-15 pr 7-10).

- F is to the left of, and in the same horizontal line as I, which is above C.

- H and D are both somewhere left of B though not necessarily in the same line.

- P is somewhere higher than J, O somewhere higher than F, H somewhere higher than M and L somewhere higher than E but not necessarily in the same line.

- B is diagonally adjacent to G and A is diagonally adjacent to C.

- N is the greatest distance possible from O.

- L is immediately left of I, G immediately left of K, J immediately left of C and D immediately left of O.

If the positions of the letters E and F add up to 17, can you place each letter in its correct position?

post your solution as 1=X, 2=X, 3=X, etc. how long it took you and what method you used (white font would be cool so that no one accidentally reads the answer)

I got it from this book called "FANTASTIC 500 PUZZLE CHALLENGE."
It's pretty cool, there's puzzles easy enough for kids or 5 minutes at the "throne" (connect the dots, spot the difference), and there's puzzles so frustrating they make me want to stab my eyes out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
moe darklight said:
you're going to need the picture in the link (print it or copy it on a piece of paper, it's pretty easy to draw.

You'll need to specify the image in a different way, then. For whatever reason, the Brain Teaser forum won't allow people to view attachments :(

DaveE

there, fixed it.

D1 O2 F3 L4 I5 B6 P7 A8 G9 K10 H11 J12 C13 E14 N15 M16
I think that this is the answer. (hidden text showing the letter followed by the number indicating its location)

Last edited by a moderator:
haha yeep that's it. in the book they're rated 1/3 2/3 and 3/3 in level of difficulty. this one was one of the 2/3, i might post one of the 3/3 later on this week if i have some time to kill to draw the diagram. although 2/3's are probably my favorites... some 3/3's just take tooo long, and 1/3 and ridiculously easy.

Last edited:

1. What makes a puzzle "pretty hard (yet simple)"?

A puzzle can be considered "pretty hard (yet simple)" if it requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills, but does not have overly complex rules or solutions. In other words, it strikes a balance between being challenging and being easy to understand.

2. How long does it typically take to solve a "pretty hard (yet simple)" puzzle?

The time it takes to solve a puzzle can vary greatly depending on the individual's problem-solving abilities and the complexity of the puzzle itself. Some people may solve a "pretty hard (yet simple)" puzzle in a few minutes, while others may take much longer or even struggle to solve it at all.

3. Can solving "pretty hard (yet simple)" puzzles improve cognitive skills?

Yes, solving puzzles can help improve cognitive skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and spatial awareness. "Pretty hard (yet simple)" puzzles, in particular, require a good balance of these skills, making them a great exercise for the brain.

4. Are there any specific strategies or techniques for solving "pretty hard (yet simple)" puzzles?

There is no one specific strategy or technique for solving puzzles, as it largely depends on the individual's approach and problem-solving style. However, some general tips for solving "pretty hard (yet simple)" puzzles include breaking the problem into smaller parts, trying different approaches, and thinking outside the box.

5. Are there any benefits to regularly solving "pretty hard (yet simple)" puzzles?

Yes, regularly solving puzzles can have many benefits, including improving brain function and memory, reducing stress, and increasing productivity. Additionally, solving "pretty hard (yet simple)" puzzles can provide a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction, which can boost overall mood and well-being.