Can Teflon® PTFE Prevent Charge Attraction in Geothermal Piping Systems?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effectiveness of Teflon® PTFE as a protective coating for a geothermal piping system. The individual is considering applying the coating to extend the life of the piping system and prevent corrosion and scale build-up. However, there are concerns about the coating's ability to prevent scale build-up caused by pipe charging. The dialectic property of Teflon® PTFE is brought up as a potential solution to this problem.
josh0433
Good day,

I'm currently studying about the effectiveness of Teflon® PTFE as a protective coating for a geothermal piping system. Part of the pipe is submerged in brine and experience corrosion and scale build-up during its past operations. I was thinking of applying the said coating to extend the life of the piping system for it to be more reliable. However, I've been having problems in verifying its effectiveness to prevent scale build-up.
I know teflons have extremely low coefficient of friction and its non-stick property helps in preventing the attachment of scales, but I've research something about "Pipe charging" by Helmholtz that indicates that scale builds-up due to the attraction of the positively charged pipe to the negatively charged carbonate ions on the brine. Can the dialectic property of Teflon® PTFE be able to prevent this kinds of attraction?
Any help on this matter will be highly appreciated. Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe this is a chemistry problem.

Perhaps someone will move this thread to the chemistry department.

Welcome to PF!

Hi josh0433! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I see you've already re-posted in the Materials & Chemical Engineering forum. :wink:
Phrak said:
I believe this is a chemistry problem.

Perhaps someone will move this thread to the chemistry department.

Nooo … questions about dialectics belong in the Philosophy forum! :biggrin:
josh0433 said:
Can the dialectic property …

Thread moved to Materials and ChemE

1. What is charge attraction and why is it important to prevent it?

Charge attraction is the force that causes opposite electric charges to be pulled towards each other. It is important to prevent this because it can lead to unwanted reactions or damage in scientific experiments and technologies.

2. How can charge attraction be prevented?

Charge attraction can be prevented by using insulating materials, such as rubber or plastic, to separate objects with opposite charges. Another method is to ground or discharge any excess charges.

3. What are some common sources of charge attraction in scientific experiments?

Some common sources of charge attraction in scientific experiments include friction, contact between different materials, and the flow of electricity through conductors.

4. How does preventing charge attraction help in creating more accurate results in experiments?

Preventing charge attraction helps in creating more accurate results in experiments by reducing the interference of external electric forces, ensuring that the experiment is controlled and isolated from outside influences.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with preventing charge attraction?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with preventing charge attraction, such as electric shock if proper precautions are not taken. It is important to follow safety protocols and use proper protective equipment when dealing with electric charges.