Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preview or bug?

1. Feb 13, 2006 #1

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What happened to the "preview" box for threads?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I've been asking the same thing. :grumpy:

4. Feb 13, 2006 #3
    I disabled it for the meantime to save bandwidth and speed up the site.

5. Feb 13, 2006 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Peek" is slower than "clicking" into a thread? Wunta thunk it.

6. Feb 13, 2006 #5
    When the site images are cached on your system it is. Also peek might be faster if you peek at each thread in the list. However if you only peek a couple threads then its not faster because you still had to process the peek of all the other threads that you didn't end up peeking. Make sense?

7. Feb 13, 2006 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, I was looking at my "peek" time vs. "thread load time" rather than site time keeping "peeks" loaded vs. loading threads. It does make sense, but I still can't convince myself I'm using fewer resources loading threads to remind myself that a given title isn't of interest compared to the "old" "peek" and move on routine.

8. Feb 13, 2006 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I'm much rather wait a (little) bit while a page loads (showing "new posts", say) and be able to peek at each thread than have to open each thread to remember what's in it. Even with the rare descriptive title, it's hard to remember what a thread was about. (But maybe that's just me. :uhh: )

9. Feb 13, 2006 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm the same way, especially on my first visit of the day when there are a lot of new posts and limited time to open and read them all, it's much easier to just peek at what's inside without opening the thread and be able to move on until I find the most interesting sounding ones.

10. Feb 13, 2006 #9

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thank you, Greg.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?