1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Previous Algebra Midterm

1. Oct 17, 2008 #1
    I'm in an algebra (ring) class and I'm looking at a previous midterm (I have attached it here to prove that this is not homework problem).

Can anyone tell me how to answer question 3 and 5? I will repeat again in here:

3) Let R = Z[sqrt(2)] and P = <sqrt(2)> the ideal generated by sqrt(2)

a) Prove that P is a prime ideal.
    b) Let D = Rp (localization of R at complement of P, aka ring of fractions of R w.r.t. (R-P) )
    Let Pp be ideal of Rp generated by sqrt(2). Is Pp a prime ideal of Rp? Prove answer.

5) Let R = ZxZ (direct product of integer sets with operations defined as usual componentwise). Let I = < (4,9), (6,12) > ideal generated by those two elements. How many elements (cosets of I) does R/I have?

Any help would be appreciated. Let me repeat that this is not homework, as I have attached file proving that these are past test questions (which I got from school's math society website).

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For (3), first show how any member of Z[sqrt(2)] can be written. How is that related to the ideal <sqrt(2)>? IS that an ideal in Z[sqrt(2)]? What does it mean to say it is a prime ideal?

For 5, again, what IS an ideal of ZxZ? Can you show that the set generated by <(4,9), (6,12)> IS an ideal? What are "cosets" of that set?

4. Oct 17, 2008 #3
    I got 3)a) by doing exactly what you are implying, but can't get it to work for 3)b).

For 5), yes, a set generated by memebers of a ring like that are always ideals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?