Optimizing Profit for Wholesale Paint Dealer

In summary, the wholesale paint dealer incurs fixed costs of $1200 and an expense of $60x per week for buying and distributing x cases of paint. She also has a cost of $x^2/24 per week for storing inventory and handling accounts. Sales can be maintained at a rate of x cases per week at a price p dollars per case, where x=2160-24p. The dealer's maximum level of operation is 1000 cases per week. To maximize weekly profit, the dealer should sell each case at a price of $30.
domyy

Homework Statement

A wholesale paint dealer is buying and distributing x cases of paint per week. She incurs the following expenses:

(1) Fixed costs of $1200
(2) An expense of $60x per week representing the cost of x cases to the dealer ($60 per case)
(3) A cost of $x^2/24 per week for storing the inventory, handling accounts, etc.

Sales can be maintained at a rate of x cases per week at a price p dollars per case, where x=2160-24p. Due to space and other limitations, the dealer's maximum level of operation is 1000 cases per week.

a) Determine the price p at which the dealer should sell each case to maximize the weekly profit.

Homework Equations

Would it be correct:

p(x) =x.p- 60x - 1200 - x^2/24

I was wondering if in (x.p) x would be 1000 because it's the maximum number of cases per week.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
domyy said:

Homework Statement

A wholesale paint dealer is buying and distributing x cases of paint per week. She incurs the following expenses:

(1) Fixed costs of $1200
(2) An expense of $60x per week representing the cost of x cases to the dealer ($60 per case)
(3) A cost of $x^2/24 per week for storing the inventory, handling accounts, etc.

Sales can be maintained at a rate of x cases per week at a price p dollars per case, where x=2160-24p. Due to space and other limitations, the dealer's maximum level of operation is 1000 cases per week.

a) Determine the price p at which the dealer should sell each case to maximize the weekly profit.

Homework Equations

Would it be correct:

p(x) =1000 (2160 - 24x) - 60x - 1200 - x^2/24

Is p(x) supposed to be weekly profit? If so, it is wrong.

As I explained in a previous thread, you need to proceed carefully and systematically. Let me one more time outline the types of steps you should take to avoid errors.

Do you want to use x as your variable? If so, what is the selling price p? (The question asks for p, but you can use x instead and then get p.) In terms of x, what is the weekly revenue from sales? In terms of x, what are the weekly costs? Please answer these questions before taking the next step---seriously!

After doing the above steps, you should put them together to get an expression for the weekly profit. Now you have a well-defined optimization problem, and solving it is a separate issue, but not excessively difficult.

Finally, never use the exact same symbol (p in this case) to stand for two totally different things in the same problem. Choose another symbol for profit, such as P for example. (This is OK because P and p are not *exactly* the same---unless you mis-type one of them.)

not necessarily. How are you going about this problem? It has asked you to maximise profit. So first, write down the equation for profit

Edit: this is in reply to domyy's changed post.

Yes, I want to use x as my variable. The selling price is $60. The weekly revenue would be x.p. The cost are 60x + 1200 + x^2/24

domyy said:
Yes, I want to use x as my variable. The selling price is $60. The weekly revenue would be x.p. The cost are 60x + 1200 + x^2/24

Write out the weekly revenue in detail.

Hi, BruceW. I was considering profit = [x.p (revenue)] - [60x + 1200 + x^2/24 (costs)]. Is it wrong?

Would weekly revenue = [(1000 - 60x)x] be correct then ?

Last edited:
domyy said:
Would weekly revenue be (1000 - 60x)x ?

You have an expression for revenue; it involves x (the number sold per week) and the selling price per unit. If you read the question *carefully and completely* you will get the answers you need.

I really do believe that part of your difficulty is caused by your NOT reading the question with care, and jumping far too quickly to wrong conclusions.

"Sales can be maintained at a rate of x cases per week at a price p dollars per case, where x=2160-24p. Due to space and other limitations, the dealer's maximum level of operation is 1000 cases per week."

Here, it says x cases, price p. And the maximum level of operations is 1000. However, it does not mean I have 1000 cases every week. So, maybe I should write (x-60x)x ?

Last edited:
domyy said:
"Sales can be maintained at a rate of x cases per week at a price p dollars per case, where x=2160-24p. Due to space and other limitations, the dealer's maximum level of operation is 1000 cases per week."

Here, it says x cases, price p. And the maximum level of operations is 1000. However, it does not mean I have 1000 cases every week. So, maybe I should write (x-60x)x ?

You keep "guessing" instead of thinking it through. To calculate revenue you need p and x. You are using x as your variable, so that for any numerical value of x, you calculate cost and revenue---but to do that you need p as well. So, in terms of x, how do you get p?

As I said: don't guess; you don't need to. You are told everything you need.

Ok. I tried to solve the problem again and this is what I got:

Revenue: x*p

Being p = -x + 2160/24

Revenue: x*(-x+2160/24)
Revenue will then be: -x^2 + 2160x/24

Profit: revenue - cost

Cost: (1200 + 60x + x^2/24)

Profit will then be: (-x^2 + 2160x/24) - (1200 + 60x + x^2/24)
=> (-x^2 + 2160x - 28800 + 1440x + x^2)/24
=> (720x - 28800)/24
=> 30x - 1200

To maximize profit:

p'(x) = 30x - 1200
= 30

C = (1200 + 60x + x^2/24 )/x
= (1200 + 60(30) + (30)^2/24)/30
= [(28800 + 43200 + 900)/24] : 30
= 72900/24(30)
= $101.25

Last edited:
No response? Oh please, don't tell me I am wrong again :grumpy:

:cry:

domyy said:
Ok. I tried to solve the problem again and this is what I got:

Revenue: x*p

Being p = -x + 2160/24

Revenue: x*(-x+2160/24)
Revenue will then be: -x^2 + 2160x/24

Profit: revenue - cost

Cost: (1200 + 60x + x^2/24)

Profit will then be: (-x^2 + 2160x/24) - (1200 + 60x + x^2/24)
=> (-x^2 + 2160x - 28800 + 1440x + x^2)/24
=> (720x - 28800)/24
=> 30x - 1200

To maximize profit:

p'(x) = 30x - 1200
= 30

C = (1200 + 60x + x^2/24 )/x
= (1200 + 60(30) + (30)^2/24)/30
= [(28800 + 43200 + 900)/24] : 30
= 72900/24(30)
= $101.25

p is not given by
[tex] p = -x + \frac{2160}{24}[/tex] which is what you wrote; it is given by
[tex] p = \frac{-x + 2160}{24}.[/tex]
You need parentheses, like this: p = (-x + 2160)/24 = -(x/24) + 2160/24.

Also, I don't understand why you set p'(x) equal to 30 (which is what you wrote above) Shouldn't you set p'(x) to zero? Also, the expression expression for profit is not what you wrote, so yes---you made an important error. Go back and do it again. Finally, do not use the same letter p (as in p'(x)); you have already reserved the letter p for something else, as I have explained to you before.

I give up; this is my last message.

keep trying though dude, you're getting closer.

The expression for profit will be: (-2x^2 + 720x - 28800)/24 correct?[(-2x^2 + 720x - 28800)/24]' = 0 ?

Will that be correct?

Last edited:
That is exactly correct. Nice work man :) You're almost there now

Thank you so much! :)

1. What is price optimization and why is it important?

Price optimization is the process of finding the ideal price for a product or service based on various factors such as market demand, competition, and cost. It is important because it allows businesses to maximize their profits and stay competitive in the market.

2. How is price optimization different from traditional pricing strategies?

Unlike traditional pricing strategies, which often rely on cost-plus or competitor-based pricing, price optimization uses data-driven approaches and algorithms to determine the most effective price for a product. It takes into account various factors and can adapt to changes in the market, making it a more dynamic and accurate approach to pricing.

3. What kind of data is needed for price optimization?

Price optimization requires a range of data, including sales data, customer demographics, competitor pricing, and market trends. This data helps to identify patterns and make predictions about how changes in price will affect consumer behavior and ultimately, sales and profits.

4. How does price optimization benefit both businesses and consumers?

For businesses, price optimization can lead to increased profits, improved sales, and better market positioning. For consumers, it can mean more competitive pricing and better value for money. By finding the optimal price point, businesses can offer consumers a fair price while still maximizing their own profits.

5. What are the challenges of implementing price optimization?

One of the main challenges of implementing price optimization is having the right data and tools to accurately analyze and make decisions. This can be costly and time-consuming for businesses. Additionally, price optimization may not always account for external factors such as economic changes or consumer behavior shifts, which can affect the accuracy of the pricing strategy.