What's the Best USB Flash Drive for Fast Data Storage and Affordable Pricing?

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flash Usb
In summary, the best USB flash drive for fast data storage and affordable pricing is the SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 flash drive. It has a compact design, high read and write speeds, and comes in various storage capacities at a reasonable price point. Other top options include the Samsung Bar Plus and the Kingston Digital DataTraveler.
Saladsamurai
So I need to pick up a few of these for school. The prices on 4GB range from $30 USD-100+ depending on the brand.

All I am doing is storing data like .pdf .ps .doc and maybe some pics/video lectures.

Doe the brand really matter if I am not doing anything that requires 'lightning speed' or needs to take a beating?

Thanks,
Casey

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hi Ho!

I don't think the brand really matters if you are not going to do those things.
Moreover, you still have to do regular back-ups on your data in your USB disk; no matter how good the thing is. Just to avoid the worst thing of losing your data.

For your information, I have had my USB disk (Nexus, 128 MB) for three years now, I actively use it, and it still works fine.

Eus

Saladsamurai said:
Doe the brand really matter if I am not doing anything that requires 'lightning speed' or needs to take a beating?

Thanks,
Casey

Well just flash drives that are USB 2.0. Well actually all drives on the market are 2.0. If you're looking for tough, the CORSAIR Flash Voyager is a pretty good buy.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233027

Don't waste your money and purchase a 4GB drive that's $100+. You can get a CORSAIR Flash Voyager 8GB for about $60 or a 16GB for $120.

The ScanDisk - Cruzer is also a good buy.

Newegg has some great deals on flash drives right now.

Buy.com also has some good prices right now.

Kingston 8GB Hi-Speed DataTraveler USB Flash Drive
Our Price: $49.95

Kingston 4GB DataTraveler USB 2.0 Flash Drive
Our Price: $24.95

http://www.buy.com/specialty_store_5/kingston-technology/1856.html

Sweet info. Thanks guys. BTW B. Elliot, you have to back up your USB's? What is the process? I thought that the USB's were more or less the back up. Is this just in case I LOSE or break the USB? Or do these things fail a lot?

Thanks!

Saladsamurai said:
Sweet info. Thanks guys. BTW B. Elliot, you have to back up your USB's? What is the process? I thought that the USB's were more or less the back up. Is this just in case I LOSE or break the USB? Or do these things fail a lot?

Thanks!

They can fail sometimes, pretty rare but it helps to have an occasional backup of all your stuff. A lost flash drive can set you back quite far if you have important stuff on it. In my case, I've only ever had one fail on me, a 64MB Kingston drive a few years back. They're reliable as long as you don't pound them.

Saladsamurai said:

Thanks!

They can either be the backup themselves or just another storage media... whatever you want really. when you plug one into a USB port it almost immediately shows up as a removable device under [My Computer] if your using Windows. You just drag and drop files and programs to it. I haven't had a USB drive fail yet. In fact I still have my 8MB flashdrive from when it was brand new. Now that i think about it, I don't personally know of anyone that's had one fail, save for some type of physical damage.. ie; dropping it into a pool or crushing it. They're pretty hardy.

If you are in the US try http://www.geeks.com/ or in the UK http://www.ebuyer.co.uk/ a 1Gb drive, if you aren't worried about high speed, should be around $10 / £5

Last edited by a moderator:
Saladsamurai said:

Thanks!

If you're using the flash drive as a primary storage device, then you'd want to create a backup. Its pretty amazing how easy it is to lose these damn things. I made this mistake once towards the end of the semester and lost all my papers. It'll never happen again that's for sure. You probably won't have to worry about them failing. Flash based memory devices are durable and can take quite a pounding. But hey, you never know. Maybe a backup for your backup?

ranger said:
Its pretty amazing how easy it is to lose these damn things.
Or put them through the laundry, but most survive after being rinsed in clean water and left to dry.

I love my 1gb. Use it to download programs for my comp at home when I am at school(dial up at home, highspeed at school) I forget the brand, but its pretty tough. They're not that hard to keep track of if you just use the lanyard that most come with.

Saladsamurai said:

Thanks!

I've used the MS Briefcase function for years to keep my flash drives backed up. It has in fact saved me on a couple of occasions.

I have not yet tried this, but my understanding is that the newer MS SyncToy is the way to go now.

mgb_phys said:
Or put them through the laundry, but most survive after being rinsed in clean water and left to dry.

A friend of mine picked up a 4GB Corsair Survivor a few weeks ago and so far it's been a good unit. $39.99 from Newegg, but they're currently out of stock. Water proof (not just resistant) up to 200m and with a 10year limited warranty. If it manages to survive this guy longer than three months, it's a good drive.:biggrin:

http://www.corsair.com/_images/products/survivor_hero.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I made the mistake of buying the 8GB CORSAIR Flash Voyager GT last week which had outstanding performance in magazines last year (28 mb/s write). But they've changed the spec now and it writes at a disappointing 13 mb/s, while still being priced as expensive as before (110 euros). Those crooks produced some units with expensive flash, got a good reputation for them, and replaced the memory with something cheaper. They even admit it in their site! ("flash memory pricing went up, so it was downgraded"). Stay away from this usb flash.

Can anyone recommend a usb flash drive that reaches such good performance as 28 mb/s write?

What factors affect the pricing of USB flash drives?

The pricing of USB flash drives can be affected by several factors, including the storage capacity, brand, transfer speed, design, and additional features such as encryption or waterproofing. Generally, the higher the storage capacity and brand reputation, the higher the price.

Why do some USB flash drives cost significantly more than others?

Some USB flash drives may cost more due to their advanced features or higher quality materials used in their production. Additionally, popular brands may also have a higher price point due to their reputation and demand.

What is the average cost for a USB flash drive?

The average cost for a USB flash drive can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. However, as of 2021, the average price for a 16GB USB flash drive is around $10-$15, while a 128GB USB flash drive can cost around $30-$40.

Are there any hidden fees or additional costs when purchasing USB flash drives?

In most cases, the price listed for USB flash drives is the final cost. However, some retailers may charge for shipping or offer additional services such as data recovery for an extra fee. It is always best to read the product details carefully before making a purchase.

Do USB flash drives go on sale or have discounts?

Yes, USB flash drives can go on sale or have discounts, especially during major shopping seasons such as Black Friday or Cyber Monday. Additionally, some retailers may offer discounts for bulk purchases or student discounts. It is always a good idea to compare prices from different retailers to find the best deal.