Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Primary and Secondary Voltages In A Transformer

1. May 4, 2005 #1
    Hi!

I just got to my last homework question and am not quite sure how to figure it out, it goes like this:

Scott connects a transformer to a 24V source and measures 8.0V at the secondary. If the primary and secondary were reversed, what would the new output voltage be?

I'm not sure how to go about this. I know the basic ratios like

Np/ns = Vp/Vs = Is/Ip but I can't think of how to do this question. I'm sure it's super easy but I'm super dumb :grumpy:
    Thanks for any help in advance! :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: If the transformer steps down the voltage when used one way, then what must it do if the primary and secondary are reversed?

4. May 4, 2005 #3
    If they are reversed the voltage must step up, but I still don't see how to answer the question :(

5. May 4, 2005 #4

Doc Al

The input voltage doesn't change. It's still 24V.

6. May 4, 2005 #5
    Would the new voltage be

24/8 = 8/x
    x = 2.7V?

7. May 4, 2005 #6

Doc Al

Not even close. :smile: Remember: When used one way, the transformer steps down the voltage by a certain ratio (what is that factor?). So... when used in reverse, it will step up the voltage by the same factor.

8. May 4, 2005 #7
    Um ok, so originally you have 24/8, and now we are stepping it up by that factor (3). So now we end up with the original 24v x 3 which equals 72v?

9. May 5, 2005 #8

Doc Al

Exactly right.

From Vp/Vs = Np/Ns, we know that Np/Ns = 3 for the original configuration. Now if we swap primary and secondary, Np/Ns = 1/3. Since the input voltage is still Vp = 24V, Vs = 72V.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook