Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Primary Decomposition Theorem

1. Feb 24, 2006 #1
    "Let [tex]m(x)[/tex] be the minimal polynomial of [tex]T:V\rightarrow V, \dim V<\infty[/tex] such that [tex]m(x)=m_1(x)m_2(x)[/tex] where [tex]gcd(m_1,m_2)=1[/tex], then there exists [tex]T[/tex]-invariant subspaces [tex]V_1, V_2[/tex] such that [tex]V=V_1\oplus V_2[/tex]."

What other names is this thoerem called? It was given to me as the "primary decomposition theorem" but it's neither in my book nor in mathworld or wikipedia.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2006 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

look on my webpage, http://www.math.uga.edu/~roy/ and download my linear algebra notes. this is proved there.

the proof is based on the linear combination proeprty for gcd's, i.e. you can write 1 as a linear combination of two polynbomilas with gcd = 1, so if 1 = pm1 + qm2, then plugging in T for X, we get id = p(T)m1q(T) +q(T)m2(T). so we have decomposed the identity map into two direct sum components. this decompsoes V accordingly. i.e. V1 = ker pm1, and V2 = ker qm2. is that right? (i am a little under the weather at the moment.)

4. Feb 24, 2006 #3
    Yup, this is it. Thanks.

5. Feb 24, 2006 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

my pleasure. we live in the hope of being of service, and occsionally this occurs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?