Odd Primes Congruent to 1 or 3 mod 4: Proof

• Thread starter Lenardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, the conversation discusses whether the statement "any odd prime number is congruent to either 1 or 3 mod 4" is true and how it can be proven. The concept of the "Division Algorithm" is mentioned as a way to understand why this statement holds true. It is also noted that this rule applies to all odd numbers, not just primes.
Lenardo
Is the following statement true ?

Any odd prime number is congruent to either 1 or 3 mod 4.

If yes , then how we could prove it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not as hard as it looks. Think of some actual numbers that are congruent to 2 or 0 modulo 4.

Aha.. I read before couple of minutes something called "Division Algorithm" ..and I can see why ? thank you

Are you still trying to prove that odd primes = 1 or 3 mod 4? I'm glad if you solved that now.

You can simplify it to "all odd numbers are congruent to 1 mod 2." To answer your question: yes, all odd primes adhere to the rules for all odd numbers.

I understood ..Thank you all

You can totally remove "prime" from that statement. Any odd INTEGER is 1 or 3 mod 4! If it's 0 or 2 mod 4 then it's even. I feel like bouncing my lips with my index finger in a rude gesture now.

1. What are odd primes congruent to 1 or 3 mod 4?

Odd primes congruent to 1 or 3 mod 4 are prime numbers that when divided by 4, leave a remainder of either 1 or 3. Examples include 5, 13, 17, 29, and so on.

2. What is the significance of odd primes congruent to 1 or 3 mod 4?

Odd primes congruent to 1 or 3 mod 4 have important applications in number theory, specifically in the study of quadratic residues and the law of quadratic reciprocity. They also have practical uses in cryptography and coding theory.

3. How can we prove that a prime number is congruent to 1 or 3 mod 4?

The proof for this is based on the concept of modular arithmetic and the properties of prime numbers. It involves showing that if a prime number is not congruent to 1 or 3 mod 4, then it can be written as the sum of two perfect squares, which is a contradiction.

4. Can we find an infinite number of odd primes congruent to 1 or 3 mod 4?

Yes, it has been proven that there are infinitely many odd primes congruent to 1 or 3 mod 4. This is known as Dirichlet's theorem on arithmetic progressions.

5. Are all odd primes congruent to 1 or 3 mod 4?

No, not all odd primes are congruent to 1 or 3 mod 4. There are prime numbers that are congruent to 2 or 0 mod 4. For example, 2 and 7 are primes that are congruent to 3 mod 4.