Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Prime Divisor Problem

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to prove the following:
    Let a1,a2, ...,an be integers and set b=a1*a2*...*an. If c is a nonzero integer and c is relatively prime to each ak, then c and b are relatively prime.

2. Relevant equations

Definition of relatively prime: Let a and b be integers, not both zero. if gcd(a,b)=1 then a and b are relatively prime.

3. The attempt at a solution

1. Let a1,a2, ...,an be integers and let b=a1*a2*...*an. Suppose there exists a nonzero integer c where c is relatively prime to each ak.

2. By defn, gcd(c,ak)=1

I need help showing that the gcd(c,a1*a2)=1

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2
    You don't need to suppose the existence of c; it is given by hyphotesis.

The best way to do this is to use induction on n and the following result (sometimes called Euclides' lemma): if c|ab and gcd(c,a)=1, then c|b.

If you haven't covered this lemma, argue like this: if gcd(c,a1*a2)>1, then there must be a common prime divisor p > 1 of c and a1*a2; p cannot divide a1 (because then gcd(a1,c)>1), so it must divide a2 and gcd(c,a2) > 1, and this is also impossible.

4. Feb 4, 2010 #3
    I was just looking at Euclids Lemma actually and wondering how I would prove that c|ab? Is it because c is relatively prime with each a therefore it must divide ab?

Thank you for your help once again

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook