1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prime factorization set:

1. Aug 2, 2007 #1
    This is for a proof but I was generally more curious so it isn't in the homework section.

If I were to make a set A which is defined as all the prime factors of an integer a there could be some numbers in A which are repeated, would these count as distinct members or not? The reason why I was wondering is if I made another set by the same criteria for an integer b would and then I made another set C with members A cap B would the repeated numbers show up only as many times as they appear in the set that contains them least or most? I think it should be least but I don't have text on the subject yet and we haven't covered much set theory. I would also appreciate some link or recommendation for a text at 1st year university level.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2007 #2
  4. Aug 2, 2007 #3
    Thanks a lot, that has just the properties I needed for the proof.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?