Prime Factorization of 49 + 39 - MathFest 2004

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for obtaining the prime factorization of a certain number, specifically for the sum of two cubes. The suggested method is to use the general formula for the sum of cubes, which can be broken down into two factors. However, it is acknowledged that this method may involve a level of multiplication that could be avoided with an alternative approach.
devious_
Is there a method one can use to obtain the prime factorization of a certain number?

For example:
Find the prime factorization of 49 + 39. [MathFest 2004]

I realize that I can re-write the expression as 29.29+39, but that's about as far as I can go. :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
For this specific number, notice it's a sum of cubes, [tex]4^9+3^9=(4^3)^3+(3^3)^3[/tex] and use the general formula for the sum of cubes. This breaks it into 2 factors nicely, both are much easier to deal with then the orignial. Just use trial division on these 2 factors to furthur break them down.

I did use the sum of two cubes formula. This is what I got:
64³+27³=(91)(64²-64.27+27²)=(7)(13)(4096-1728+729)=7.13.19.163

That's the correct answer, but I had to multiply the second bracket out to get it. I was just wondering if there was some other way I could use that wouldn't involve this level of multiplication.

What is prime factorization?

Prime factorization is the process of breaking down a number into its prime factors, which are the prime numbers that can be multiplied together to get the original number.

What is the prime factorization of 49?

The prime factorization of 49 is 7 x 7.

What is the prime factorization of 39?

The prime factorization of 39 is 3 x 13.

What is the prime factorization of 49 + 39?

The prime factorization of 49 + 39 is 7 x 7 x 3 x 13.

Why is the MathFest 2004 mentioned in the question?

MathFest is an annual conference for mathematicians and mathematics educators. The question may have been used as an example or practice problem during the conference.